Latest News: The Great Trubulation

The beginning of the end for Barbara Anderson
Willa
Peace, baby!

Group: Moderator
The beginning of the end for Barbara Anderson

This was posted last Sunday, 8/12/'07 on JWD > http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/139972/1.ashx

First a few important points. Here's the link to the website featuring the JW court documents DVD: http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com. Let's keep passing that on.

Second: The subject of getting this into hands of the national press has been handled, and if everyone could leave it at that for the time being, we'll inform you on here what to look for in the next week or so, hopefully. Good things are happening!

Third: Here is the original thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/139789/1.ashx, but it's so long I wanted to post this info in a new thread so it wouldn't get lost.

Barbara has given me the OK to share an experience from the end of her commentary on the WTS trial documents that really was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for her in deciding that the WTS was NOT God's organization. It was at a time when the Service Department had so badly mishandled the sexual abuse issues for so many years that all abuse correspondence was being routed through the Society's legal department at Bethel. Barbara had been a confidante of Bethel heavy Harry Peloyan for some time, and he had shared with her many of the problems Bethel was facing in the matter. Interestingly, what Peloyan saw as changes to resolve the problems with WTS pedophile issues, Barbara saw in quite a different way. Here are her comments on a letter she received from Peloyan:

Within a few weeks, I received a letter from Harry that changed the direction of my life. He acknowledged the January 1, 1997 Watchtower on the view of child molesters by the Witnesses was like a breath of fresh air, but the change came “after more than 5 years of blood, sweat, and tears.” I’ll paraphrase the rest of his letter.

Harry could not understand how some people at headquarters could have been so ignorant (or worse), and why some fought against publishing anything on the subject. He commended Watchtower’s Legal Department’s help to set the record straight. If Watchtower had continued on their blind course, he said there would have been “moremegabuck lawsuits” [italics mine], and if any elder protected molesters, the Society would not protect them.

However, Harry’s concluding thought was so extraordinary that it literally caused me to have to sit down to calm myself when he wondered who would answer for Witness children’s lives ruined by “baptized Witness molesters” because of the past five years of inaction by those who had the power to change things. Harry added that his conscience was clear because of his efforts to bring about change.

It was then that I realized, without a shadow of a doubt, that the men I personally knew and had respected, those who were in positions of authority over the lives of six million people, were responsible for more kids being raped, sodomized and brutalized because of their inaction during the previous five years. Because of the work I had done in the Writing Department to inform the Governing Body of the sexual child abuse problems within the Witness organization, there was no excuse for this inaction. To my way of thinking, their ethics and morals were so compromised that I could no longer in good conscience remain in association with the group. It didn’t take long for me to realize the next point—God was not with these people—so I called it quits.

The truth really does set us free....
With love, Willa(one free bird :birds:)
:peace:

:heartbeat: You are my friends! I don't think it just by chance, but by God's Grand Design, that He has guided both our steps... to let your paths cross mine. :heartbeat:
08-14-2007 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user
Bangalore

Group: Registered Plus
RE: The beginning of the end for Barbara Anderson

Thanks for posting that Willa. Here is some more information regarding this.

http://www.blacksunjournal.com/religion/..._2007.html

A new compact disc containing over 5,000 pages of damning court documents about suppression of accusations child abuse within the Watchtower Society has been made available for sale by researcher Barbara Anderson:

Primarily of interest at this point are the nine lawsuits settled in early 2007 between Jehovah’s Witness victims of molestation and Defendants’ Jehovah’s Witnesses, et al. However, also included are the court records from two other lawsuits that were settled by Watchtower, one in 2000 and the other in 2006. Court records from a third lawsuit, filed in 2004 by a victim of molestation, were included only because the information contained in the records are another example of the pervasive cover-up of molestation in the Watchtower organization when the predator holds a supervisory position within the group. (In this particular case, the molester was given a life sentence in prison.) The lawsuit was dismissed in 2004 without prejudice, meaning the plaintiff can file the matter again.

Over all, the facts are common to all of the nine lawsuits involving sixteen victims which were settled in 2007. These cases were filed from 2003 through 2006 by the law firm, Love & Norris, located in Fort Worth, Texas. The primary defendants were the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.; one Oregon congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses; one Texas congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses; six Northern California congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and one Southern California congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. There were eight abusers, all Jehovah’s Witnesses, who were co-defendants. The Jehovah’s Witness Defendants, unlike the Catholic Church, secretly settled these nine lawsuits. The majority of the nine were settled at the end of January and then dismissed in mid-February and a few in early March, 2007.

In October 2006, I was given the impression that cases involving sixteen victims would soon be settled. In early February, I, as well as Bill Bowen (silentlambs.org), learned that these cases had been settled. We were provided with no additional information other than learning that Plaintiffs and Defendants were not in favor of any publicity. Bill and I had a verbal agreement not to go public with the information at that time because I wanted time to peruse court records for more information to offer the public about the lawsuits. Inasmuch as Bill did not want to wait any longer to announce the settlement, he held a press conference on May 10, 2007 and the Associated Press carried the story on May 11, 2007. Jehovah’s Witnesses confirmed the settlement. However, Bowen had few facts to report, although, he did provide proof each case was settled by posting on his website, silentlambs.org, a copy of a dismissal notice for each of the nine cases. These documents proved all cases were dismissed with prejudice, which means that both sides agreed that no more legal action could be taken. Such an agreement usually indicates a financial settlement paid by Defendants, in this case, Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Like the Catholic Church, the Watchtower Society willfully and knowingly protected child molesters (child abuse was not reported to police), gave them continued access to children, transferred rather than prosecuted them, and insisted on a “two-witnesses” rule before reporting or pursuing cases of molestation (from promo copy for the court transcript disc):

It is the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses who establish the policies and who dictate practices for Jehovah’s Witnesses. That Body operates through various corporate entities, primarily Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., and Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc. The Plaintiffs charged in their lawsuits that the Jehovah’s Witnesses assumed a duty to protect children in their organization but they failed to exercise reasonable care and common sense policies in fulfilling that duty. For example, they failed to enact a policy forbidding unsupervised one-on-one contact between elders or ministerial servants and children. They permitted children to go out in door-to-door ministry alone with male members and encouraged parents in the congregations to allow their children attend un-chaperoned Bible study with adult males (elders/ms) and allowed these men to “counsel” children without any supervision. See how Plaintiffs’ attorneys presented these assertions in a factual way.

The Watchtower undertook the responsibility to instruct Jehovah’s Witness elders as to what to do when they received allegations of child sexual abuse. They promulgated policies directing elders to call Watchtower’s “Legal Department” for direction about whether to report allegations of sexual abuse to law enforcement. However, these policies were designed to avert cooperation with secular investigators. For example, elders were sometimes instructed to make anonymous calls from telephone booths so that law enforcement authorities would be unable to contact them for more information. Never before have we actually seen this discussed in a document before, but you can see the documents for yourself.

The Defendant Watchtower required Jehovah’s Witness elders to investigate allegations of child sexual abuse. Elders were required to apply the “two witness rule” which under Jehovah’s Witnesses’ internal policy and doctrine, relegates allegations of child molestation to a notation written in a confidential file, if the perpetrator does not confess the crime, but pleads innocence. See a secret Watchtower form that is filled in with the name of the molester who, the document said, was disfellowshipped, not because he confessed, but because there were two witnesses proving the factualness of this rule, yet there is no record of the sexual abuse being reported to the authorities.

Elders were required to gather evidence, question witnesses and render judgments about what internal punishment, if any, would be imposed on a child abuser. They were forbidden from revealing the results of their investigations to law enforcement authorities. Read from the deposition of one highly placed Watchtower official admitting there was no policy in place to report child abuse.

See secret forms which contained questions elders were to be asked by staff in the Watchtower’s Legal Department. The questions on this form are indicative of the investigative nature of the process elders were to go through when there was an accusation of child molestation. Shockingly, one inappropriate question asked was if any of the elders believed the child victim of molestation was “somewhat at fault” for their own sexual victimization.

Religious authorities should not be allowed to operate outside the law. Punishment should be swift and severe. When they demonstrate such blatant and brazen disregard for the law, I think it would be appropriate for the government to use RICO to shut them down, and possibly seize their assets. Knowingly harboring child molesters isn’t on the list of RICO offenses. But when it involves a willful and well-documented conspiracy, it should be.

This victimization of children is shocking but not surprising. Though the WTS is much smaller, its conduct possibly exceeds the outrageous behavior of the Catholic Church during their pedophile scandal, based on the sheer hubris and flagrance of the violations, and WTS’ shameless attempts to cover them up with secret out-of-court-settlements.

Earlier this year, I posted another example of JW’s reckless disregard of the welfare of children, in this case church member Eunice Spry, who was able to systematically torture three foster children in her care for nearly 20 years, without anyone in her church congregation taking the slightest notice.

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore

"While producing people who were outwardly moral, they subverted the essential qualities of humility, compassion and mercy." - Raymond Franz
http://www.spiritualbrother.blogspot.com/
08-15-2007 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
gogh
Participator

boosted for SOJ's enlightenment

"......."This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Keep listening to him!" Luke 9:35
04-03-2011 09:13 PM
man hu
Babe and any other piggy names

gogh Wrote:
boosted for SOJ's enlightenment

Bangalore Wrote:
Earlier this year, I posted another example of JW's reckless disregard of the welfare of children, in this case church member Eunice Spry, who was able to systematically torture three foster children in her care for nearly 20 years, without anyone in her church congregation taking the slightest notice.

One of these children, Christopher Spry has posted on this board, and also spoken directly to some of us. He may even look in here for time to time. I believe I recently saw him briefly on Skype.

SOJ please understand how the WT culture has enabled these sadistic fiends and as yet it has not repented.

When the victims commit suicide the WT society is completely blood guilty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sj2gQJIKI
04-04-2011 05:51 AM
Derek

Group: Registered

Hi Vicky,
For some when they bend their minds to the intellectual dishonesty of the organisation, balance is lost and they can no longer follow a truly moral course and all sorts of abuse is perpetrated and self-justified.

Remember, the ultimate sin for a JW is not abusing a child, but organizational apostasy.
regards
Derek

We go in faith, our own great weakness feeling,
And needing more each day Thy grace to know:
Yet from our hearts a song of triumph pealing,
“We rest on Thee, and in Thy Name we go.”
04-04-2011 07:48 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites