Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
The Only Promise of Heavenly Life
JWHVACR
Older Man

Group: Registered Plus
The Only Promise of Heavenly Life

If you read the terms of the New Covenant, as they were set out at Jeremiah 31:31-34, you will see that it never promised a resurrection to heavenly life. And if such a thing were part of this sacred contract, it surely had to be included somewhere. So, as the promise of the Old Law Covenant with Israel was that they would become an earthly nation of kings and priests, the same thing is implied in the Second, because, no changes are suggested in Jeremiah… or by anyone else for that matter.

At Jeremiah 31:33, 34, we read: ‘This is my Sacred Agreement, which I will arrange with Israel in those days,’ says Jehovah: ‘I will write My Laws in their minds and their hearts. To them I’ll be their God, and they will be a people to Me. There’s no way that each will teach his neighbor and brother, and tell them that they should know Jehovah! For, all will know Me from the small to the great, and I’ll be kind toward their errors and sins… no way will I remember [their sins] anymore.’

So, according to this scripture, the key differences are:
· The Law of the New Covenant will be written on hearts, not on stone or paper
· Those who are involved in the New Covenant will enjoy a special relationship with God and have a personal knowledge of Jehovah
· Their sins will be forgiven.
(That's ALL).

However, sometime after initiating the New Covenant, Jesus made a promise that did speak of the hope of being taken to heaven, and this promise was only offered to a select few. This wasn’t an addendum to the New Covenant, it was just a promise that he made with those who he said, ‘stuck with me during my trials.’

This added agreement was ‘for a Kingdom,’ which he offered to his eleven faithful Apostles on the eve of his death, and perhaps on another occasion (see Matthew 19:28). We read of this at Luke 22:28-30, where Jesus said, ‘However, you are the ones who stuck with me during my trials, so I’m making a promise to you, just as my Father made a promise to me, for a Kingdom… that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom and sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel.’

Notice that this promise, which Jesus made with his Apostles, is the only one that promised life in heaven. That it was a promise of life in heaven is indicated by the words, ‘that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom and sit on thrones.’

Also notice that these words (that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom and sit on thrones) carry even greater significance, for if you look at the methods of the rulership of ancient Hebrew Kings, such as David and Solomon, you’ll see that those who were invited to sit at the king’s table were not only his closest friends and advisors, they were also his primary governors. And the king had them sit and eat with him at his table, because he always wanted them to be close to him.

Thus, it appears as though; when Jesus told his Apostles that they would eat and drink at his (the king’s) table, he was saying that they would be where he was, in heaven with his Father Jehovah.

In addition, when Jesus promised his eleven faithful Apostles that they would ‘sit on thrones and judge the twelve tribes of Israel,’ he was saying that they were to judge those who comprise the rest of the arrangement for serving God... those who are also under the New Covenant, but who were not offered life in heaven, as were Jesus' friends. For more information about what judging the twelve tribes of Israel means, see the document, Jerusalem and the Israel of God.’

"Our minds don't control our beliefs, our beliefs control our minds."
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
"Buying into someone's religious, philosophical, or political teachings is the point where you've decided to allow them to do your thinking for you."
02-22-2010 06:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Lowlee
Lee

RE: The Only Promise of Heavenly Life

JWHVACR Wrote:
Thus, it appears as though; when Jesus told his Apostles that they would eat and drink at his (the king’s) table, he was saying that they would be where he was, in heaven with his Father Jehovah.

Hiya JWH :hibye::hug: I wonder if they have toilets in heaven too. :whistle: :read: Sister LOWlee wants to know. :siskiss:

"My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27
02-22-2010 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user
ablebodiedman

JWHVACR,

I think Jesus Christ made the promise to all 12 Apostles in Matthew 19:28. I don't find any reason to believe that Judas Iscariot was not in the audience.

Matthew 19:28
28 Jesus said to them: “Truly I say to YOU, In the re-creation, when the Son of man sits down upon his glorious throne, YOU who have followed me will also yourselves sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone that has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive many times more and will inherit everlasting life.
30 “But many that are first will be last and the last first.

His promise had some disclaimers.

Judas Iscariot did not "stick by him in his trials".

I enjoyed the end time parallels you made with the exiting Egypt and entering the promised land.

At the present time we are all slaves to the nations working for a "bag full of holes". Haggai 1:6

I think the end time coming out of Egypt is alluded to in Zechariah:

Zechariah 8:10
For before those days there were no wages for mankind made to exist; and as for the wages of domestic animals, there was no such thing

There were no wages because we have been slaves to the nations.

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
02-22-2010 07:13 PM
Totaldismay

"Notice that this promise, which Jesus made with his Apostles, is the only one that promised life in heaven. That it was a promise of life in heaven is indicated by the words, ‘that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom and sit on thrones.’ "

I tend to leave out adding his "kingdom" to mean heaven.
but that's just me.
also where is the sinner going to be?
Jesus told the sinner that in that day he would be with him in paradise?

Is paradise? part of heaven?
If it is not where is it?
IS heaven in the clouds? or some other planet?
If it is not where is it?

Sorry Jim not trying to be a pain.

Sometimes the words the way they are are vague.
the sinner would be in paradise while those who stuck with him are to be part of the kingdom/ I presume ruling class is what was meant by kingdom. based on Jesus being the ruler.

But many think of heaven as being seperate from/earth.

Jesus table is most likely where he will rule from. he also indicated he would drink of the vine in a future time. AS well as pitch his tent with mankind. if my memory serves me.

What if their is another scenario we haven't encountered yet.
like heaven and earth being married as one.
Two become one again.
the same theme as in marriage.
just some thoughts.

02-22-2010 08:36 PM
jonalfred
Older Still and Aging

Hi

I agree with Jim.... The New Covenant entails the general resurrection of mankind... it was never intended for the church... but, they, as members of the body of Christ, will be mediators of the new covenant for the world of sinners (all under Adam's curse) as they come forth and will be instructed in the ways of righteousness. Isa 26: 9

This is what is meant by them living and reigning with Him for 1,000 years.... reigning over what? Over resurrected mankind.

Quote:
also where is the sinner going to be?
Jesus told the sinner that in that day he would be with him in paradise?

Yes... Paradise always refers to an earthly condition because where it was used was to describe Eden. The thieves will be part of the general resurrection and therefore recipients of the New covenant.

02-22-2010 09:02 PM
JWHVACR
Older Man

Lowlee Wrote:
Hiya JWH :hibye::hug: I wonder if they have toilets in heaven too. :whistle: :read: Sister LOWlee wants to know. :siskiss:

Good concise thinking... I like that. :)

"Buying into someone's religious, philosophical, or political teachings is the point where you've decided to allow them to do your thinking for you."
02-22-2010 09:30 PM
JWHVACR
Older Man

Totaldismay Wrote:
What if their is another scenario we haven't encountered yet.
like heaven and earth being married as one.
Two become one again.
the same theme as in marriage.
just some thoughts.

I'll agree that there is more that we DON'T understand than what we DO! Not being dogmatic about the hope of mankind or of "the church." I liked Lowlee's question.

The point that I was actually making, was the separation between the terms of the "New Covenant" and Jesus' promise of a kingdom. The JW view is that both promises apply to their "anointed," so only they are under the New Covenant, and only they will go to heaven... a major misleading of the sheep.

02-22-2010 09:37 PM
TruthSeeker

Greetings dear brother Totaldismay, may you always continue in the love and grace of our Lord and King Jesus.

Dear brother you said,

Jesus table is most likely where he will rule from. he also indicated he would drink of the vine in a future time. AS well as pitch his tent with mankind. if my memory serves me.

This same comment strikes me as well, along with in Revelation, the tent of God is "with mankind after descending from the heavens". Also in Revelation we find that when Satan is released, he surrounds the camp of the "holy ones" who are apparently on earth?

I am not convinced that this all does not take place on earth yet. Yes I may well be wrong, but I believe the issues were about earth and men on earth and the to fulfill the prophecy and promises it would seem likely that it is all happening here.

That is not to say that there will not be persons (those who stuck with me) who will not have positions granted to them by Jesus, after all is said and one here on earth and after Jesus hands everything back over to his Father Jehovah/

It has been a long time brother and I hope and pray you are well. Also I thank you for your efforts with Tony quite a while ago.

Warm Christian love to you and all your loved ones, brother Fred.

1st John 4:20 If anyone makes the statement: "I love God," and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar. For he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot be loving God whom he has not seen.
02-22-2010 09:44 PM
Melancholymuse
Christian

JWHVACR Wrote:
Jesus made a promise that did speak of the hope of being taken to heaven, and this promise was only offered to a select few.... We read of this at Luke 22:28-30, where Jesus said, ‘However, you are the ones who stuck with me during my trials, so I’m making a promise to you, just as my Father made a promise to me, for a Kingdom… that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom and sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel.’

From what I understand, Heaven is actually coming to Earth (Ezekiel 37:26-28, 2 Corinthians 6:16, Revelation 3:12, and Revelation 21:1-4, 10). Therefore, YES they will be ruling with Christ, BUT it will be in Heaven on Earth. :rainbow:

Zeal for your house will consume me -- John 2:17 (HCSB)
02-23-2010 09:27 AM
New Heart
Faithful and Truth

Melancholymuse Wrote:

JWHVACR Wrote:
Jesus made a promise that did speak of the hope of being taken to heaven, and this promise was only offered to a select few.... We read of this at Luke 22:28-30, where Jesus said, ‘However, you are the ones who stuck with me during my trials, so I’m making a promise to you, just as my Father made a promise to me, for a Kingdom… that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom and sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel.’

From what I understand, Heaven is actually coming to Earth (Ezekiel 37:26-28, 2 Corinthians 6:16, Revelation 3:12, and Revelation 21:1-4, 10). Therefore, YES they will be ruling with Christ, BUT it will be in Heaven on Earth. :rainbow:

I agree with you . Earth restored to what will seem very heaven like, back to what God first intended. God will be with mankind, openly and directly conversing with them, and they will no longer be seperated, but will know what God wants of them. They will just know, because it will be as if God has flipped back on the on switch, and they will have an open conduit directly to Him, hearing Him directly within their hearts. Everyone will be taught by God.

O LORD, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.
02-23-2010 09:59 AM
Prodigal Son

"Let your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven."

"You will see SIGNS in the heavens...."

If we imagine that our physical existence is "vibrating" at a lower frequency than heaven, it would be impossible for heaven to "descend" to the earth. The earth would have to "ascend" in frequency to meet heaven.

The good news: Global warming is a sign that the merger is beginning to happen. ALL the planets in our solar system are heating up from within. It's all because of the SUN's activity....

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/06/nasa-...t-warming/

http://www.livescience.com/environment/0...rming.html

Peace,
Jimmy C.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?" ~1 Corinthians 6:19
02-23-2010 10:27 AM
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

it looks like this whole issue of heaven and earth being separate "where's" might be ready for revisitation.

as a starting point, if we grant that earth is within the physical realm and heaven is a different realm (spirit, as in non-physical), then maybe we have found food for thought to begin to consider.

btw: "where" is, in and of itself, a "physical" concept. so, perhaps, just perhaps, we have begun by imposing artificial, inappropriate, and invalid "boundaries" and definitions where no such actually exist. :dontknow:

just that ole' fool, sittin' up on a hill, ... thinkin' :thinking:

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
02-23-2010 10:41 AM
Beau Wetini
Me and my boy at the beach!

I dont think humans were created to end up in the spirit world. :D

Seems borderline ridiculous, and in my worthless opinion, is a step away from Reincarnation. :hibye:

The Universe, like the Earth, wasnt made for nothing...:friends:

LIVE THE KINGDOM NOW!!

02-23-2010 11:33 AM
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

digital_punk Wrote:
I dont think humans were created to end up in the spirit world. :D

Seems borderline ridiculous, and in my worthless opinion, is a step away from Reincarnation. :hibye:

The Universe, like the Earth, wasnt made for nothing...:friends:

YEAH!! :cheer:.....Somehow, I've always believed that heaven is a state, not a place.
Come to think about it, the idea that people can die and go to "heaven", originated with apostate Christianity, and is contrary to the Christian concept of "resurection".
The WTS's teaching that only 144K will go to Heaven is just a modification of the more common idea that all good people
"go to Heaven". :drinking:

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
02-23-2010 12:19 PM
JWHVACR
Older Man

Once again:

JWHVACR Wrote:
The point that I was actually making, was the separation between the terms of the "New Covenant" and Jesus' promise of a kingdom. The JW view is that both promises apply to their "anointed," so only they are under the New Covenant, and only they will go to heaven... a major misleading of the sheep.

02-23-2010 03:07 PM
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites