Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Justification - Being Declared Righteous
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

Group: Registered Plus
Justification - Being Declared Righteous

I am interested in hearing the opinions of some here on a specific subject. What is Justification?

Martin Luther said that this was the doctrine "by which the church stands or falls".

What is justification, (or as it is sometimes translated as "being declared righteous")? Who is justified? Who is the one doing the justifying? Why is there a need for justification? What happens at justificaiton?

Justification, as far as I can tell from the Bible, is a legal act God, which in free grace to sinners, he fully pardons all their sins (past, present, and future). Like a judge, God declares them "Not Guilty". The reason He accepts and considers them righteous in his sight is not because of any thing done in them, or done by them, but it is only because of Christ's perfect obedience and full satisfaction to God's justice he made on their behalf. Christ lived the life we couldn't live and died the death we should have died. God counts the righteousness of Christ as theirs, and credits it to their accounts. This is sometimes called "the great exchange". My sins go to Christ, his righteousness goes to me.

Justification is received by faith alone. What happens is a sinner is convinced of their sin and misery, and of their inability to get out out of this lost condition. They hear the good news, then the sinner not only assents to the truth of the promise of the gospel, but receives and rests upon Christ and his righteousness alone for salvation. This faith is a gift from God. It is an instrument by which we receives Christ and his righteousness.

The WT Society, and the Catholic church both agree that this position is wrong, and that Justification is not by faith alone, but Faith and works combined. However, good works, are the fruits and effects of this type of faith. Paul stresses this three times in one verse:

"Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." - Galatians 2:16

This is the heart of the Gospel and the heart of true Christianity.

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
03-17-2010 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Blithe Freshman

RE: Justification - Being Declared Righteous

Mavos Wrote:
I am interested in hearing the opinions of some here on a specific subject. What is Justification?

The WT Society, and the Catholic church both agree that this position is wrong, and that Justification is not by faith alone, but Faith and works combined. However, good works, are the fruits and effects of this type of faith. Paul stresses this three times in one verse:

"Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." - Galatians 2:16

This is the heart of the Gospel and the heart of true Christianity.

What you have written , is what I understand justification to be.

The Fruits or Works that comes from our faith, are to me also not something I do.They are the work of GOD's grace , changing me . But that would be a different thread on sanctification.:) Don't mean to hijack this one.
Blithe

03-17-2010 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user
Mavos

Blithe Freshman Wrote:
What you have written , is what I understand justification to be.

The Fruits or Works that comes from our faith, are to me also not something I do.They are the work of GOD's grace , changing me . But that would be a different thread on sanctification.:) Don't mean to hijack this one.
Blithe

Absolutely! Amen! Salvation from beginning to end is all of God's grace. Humans try to insert themselves into the process so many times and in so many different ways. But that is completely not what Paul or the rest of scripture says.

"But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life." - Titus 3:4-7

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
03-17-2010 01:17 PM
JWHVACR
Older Man

Acts 22:16, ‘So now, why are you wasting time? Get up, get baptized, and wash your sins away by calling on his name.’
(The WTS HATES this scripture).

"Our minds don't control our beliefs, our beliefs control our minds."
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
"Buying into someone's religious, philosophical, or political teachings is the point where you've decided to allow them to do your thinking for you."
03-17-2010 01:23 PM
Willa
Peace, baby!

Group: Moderator

I totally agree with your conclusion Matt. Churches have a history of trying to squeeze themselves in as necessary in that justification process - but there's isn't room for them and Christ Jesus both to be the authority over our faith... so they kick him out! :crybaby:

Justification by Faith
21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; 26 for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. 27 Where then is boasting? It is excluded By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one. Romans 3 [NASB]

Good stuff, Matt! :peace:

:heartbeat: You are my friends! I don't think it just by chance, but by God's Grand Design, that He has guided both our steps... to let your paths cross mine. :heartbeat:
03-17-2010 01:31 PM
Resolute
politicus incorrectissimus in extremis

Group: Moderator

Matt, in your first post you laid out the matter of Christian justification so well that I couldn't add a word to it, except: AMEN!!!!

Quote:
Humans try to insert themselves into the process so many times and in so many different ways. But that is completely not what Paul or the rest of scripture says.

A very perceptive statement. Any man or organization that tries to insert himself/themselves into the process of justification by grace is either a wolf, hired man or modern day Judaizer.

As to the latter, I'd be happy to volunteer my assistance in the operation that Paul advocated for such ones.:P

rez

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one… – Edmund Burke
03-17-2010 01:48 PM
ablebodiedman

JWHVACR Wrote:
Acts 22:16, ‘So now, why are you wasting time? Get up, get baptized, and wash your sins away by calling on his name.’

JWHVACR,

I understand why they hate it.

Consider the newly invented baptismal vows:

Quote:
w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

and what they say about this:

Quote:
w89 1/15 p. 15 How Baptism Can Save Us

2 The entire baptismal arrangement, including this public expression of faith, is essential for salvation.

They insist that a vow to; "God's Spirit Directed Organization" is essential for salvation.

Another name added to the ones which Jesus Christ commanded.

Acts 4:12
12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

(The WTS ALSO HATES this scripture)

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
03-17-2010 04:18 PM
Mavos

ablebodiedman Wrote:

JWHVACR Wrote:

JWHVACR,

I understand why they hate it.

Consider the newly invented baptismal vows:

Quote:
w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

and what they say about this:

Quote:
w89 1/15 p. 15 How Baptism Can Save Us

2 The entire baptismal arrangement, including this public expression of faith, is essential for salvation.

They insist that a vow to; "God's Spirit Directed Organization" is essential for salvation.

Another name added to the ones which Jesus Christ commanded.

Acts 4:12
12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

(The WTS ALSO HATES this scripture)

In Christ

abe

Jesus + anything = nothing
Jesus + nothing = everything

It’s worth saying again: It’s not Jesus PLUS anything; it’s Jesus ONLY! Jesus is all we need. Jesus is all we have. True heresy is Jesus plus anything.

03-17-2010 04:34 PM
ablebodiedman

Mavos Wrote:

It’s worth saying again: It’s not Jesus PLUS anything; it’s Jesus ONLY! Jesus is all we need. Jesus is all we have. True heresy is Jesus plus anything.

Mavos,

There are many people on this forum who have no problem understanding this.

There are 7 million other people who need to understand.

Is there any way at all to help them?

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
03-17-2010 08:13 PM
Totaldismay

ABE,

FERVENT prayer is all i can think of. to help anyone.

how does a woman in faith win over a man? that script might apply

03-17-2010 10:21 PM
Mavos

ablebodiedman Wrote:

Mavos Wrote:

Mavos,

In Christ

abe

In reality, even if you could preach this gospel to everyone, and even use the most persuasive arguments, it's still not enough. "In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." (2 Cor. 4:4) The only thing that will convince them is the God, through the Holy Spirit. "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father." (John 6:65).

03-17-2010 11:26 PM
InChrist

Mavos Wrote:

ablebodiedman Wrote:

Mavos Wrote:

Mavos,

In Christ

abe

In reality, even if you could preach this gospel to everyone, and even use the most persuasive arguments, it's still not enough. "In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." (2 Cor. 4:4) The only thing that will convince them is the God, through the Holy Spirit. "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father." (John 6:65).

InChrist>> Great post!

You are right, only the Holy Spirit can draw someone too/or back to God. As we all know, He uses 'Grand Ma's Grand Pa's and every other Christian family member to apply the seed and the water, but the Holy Spirit is the one who get's the person to to repent. Many times, The Lord will put an Evangelical or Calvery Chapel member in this prodigal's path to, 'close the deal' so to speak. These are trained to lead some one in a simple 'sinners prayer.' At this same time, during which 'everyone' has been reconciling this persom back to God, with the Spirit loveingly 'nudging' them along the way.

The Watchtower cult however thinks they are the only 144000 are the only ones that can reconcile people to God. That is very sad indeed. Prideful to the core. 'God would use any Christian to be His 'Ambassador.'

We are the righteousness of God, so why wouldn't, God allow anyone who is 'right with Him,' to help in leading a stray sheep back into His fold. Reconciling them back to God? :)

2 Corinthians 5:15 He died for ' everyone ' so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.

16 So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now! 17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!

18 And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation. 20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” 21 For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin,[a] so that we could be made right with God through Christ.

Not all of us can be Pastors, not all of us can be great Evangelist. but simple men, and simple woman, can still give a simple message.

InChrist

04-04-2010 12:36 AM
ablebodiedman

Mavos Wrote:

Martin Luther said that this was the doctrine "by which the church stands or falls".

What is justification, (or as it is sometimes translated as "being declared righteous")? Who is justified? Who is the one doing the justifying? Why is there a need for justification? What happens at justificaiton?

If you read Malachi Chapter 3 it seems that an issue develops during the end time where God is being robbed.

Once the issue is understood people start talking to their companions about it.

Perhaps the issue becomes a significant controversy?

Malachi 3
16 At that time those in fear of Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name.

Will justification be measured as a result of what we say or don't say to our companions?

Will Jehovah be able to measure if we are hot, cold or lukewarm by the words said or not said?

Matthew 12:34-37
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man out of his good treasure sends out good things, whereas the wicked man out of his wicked treasure sends out wicked things. 36 I tell YOU that every unprofitable saying that men speak, they will render an account concerning it on Judgment Day; 37 for by your words you will be declared righteous, and by your words you will be condemned.”

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
04-04-2010 01:12 AM
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

hi, mavos! :hibye:

Mavos Wrote:

I am interested in hearing the opinions of some here on a specific subject. okie dokie. What is Justification?

Martin Luther said that this was the doctrine "by which the church stands or falls."

and by "the church," he meant the roman catholic church, of course, didn't he?

What is justification, (or as it is sometimes translated as "being declared righteous")? Who is justified? ultimately, all of mankind deemed worthy of the gift of eternal life. Who is the one doing the justifying? god, through jesus christ. Why is there a need for justification? because of the tragic legacy bequeathed to us by our first parents. What happens at justification? god blots our our sins, as you say just below, and his righteous justice is satisfied to permit him to view us as having been imputed (or, imparted) a righteous standing.

Justification, as far as I can tell from the Bible, is a legal act God, which in free grace to sinners, he fully pardons all their sins (past, present, and future). Like a judge, God declares them "Not Guilty". The reason He accepts and considers them righteous in his sight is not because of any thing done in them, or done by them, but it is only because of Christ's perfect obedience and full satisfaction to God's justice he made on their behalf. yes, yes, yes to all of this. Christ lived the life we couldn't live and died the death we should have died. God counts the righteousness of Christ as [ours], and credits it to [our] accounts. so true! This is sometimes called "the great exchange". My sins go to Christ, his righteousness goes to me.

Justification is received by faith alone. What happens is a sinner is convinced of their sin and misery, and of their inability to get out out of this lost condition [on their own merit]. They hear the good news, then the sinner not only assents to the truth of the promise of the gospel, but receives and rests upon Christ and his righteousness alone for salvation. it really is 'amazing grace,' isn't it? This faith is a gift from God. It is an instrument by which we receive Christ and his righteousness.

The WT Society, and the Catholic church both agree that this position is wrong, and that Justification is not by faith alone, but Faith and works combined. and we have no doubt as to exactly why they say this is wrong, do we? However, good works are the fruits and effects of this type of faith. perfectly stated, imo. Paul stresses this three times in one verse:

This is the heart of the Gospel and the heart of true Christianity. amen! praise both god and christ jesus!

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
04-04-2010 12:40 PM
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

Eph. 2:8, NWT.
"By this undeserved kindness, indeed, You have been saved through your faith: and this is not owing to you, it is God's gift." Amen!

The faith referenced here is faith in Christ, not any other man or body of men.

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
04-04-2010 01:57 PM
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites