Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Random thoughts!
Seraphim

Group: Registered
Random thoughts!

Just had a random musing that I thought might be relevant to the new covenant subject as well as others.

This whole idea of a priestly class within a nation of Jews in early Judaism gets often applied to Christianity as the new spiritual Israel. As such the temptation to separate Christians into a priestly class, and then as with later Jewish history, a kingly class entwined with the priestly class, that became a combined class of kings and priests becomes apparent. We of course see this with JWs and their 144,000 idea. We see it also with the Catholic church and others categories of Christianity. We also see it reflected in certain doctrinal views within Christendom as a whole.

However the thought I had was that perhaps the whole biblical idea of a priestly class separate from all other Jews, that came before the idea of a kingly class, which the bible shows that God was not overly impressed with was there as a kind of prophetic model. In other words the priestly class may have been harking to the ideal future idea and hope of all Jews to becoming that priestly class as opposed to a section of Jews by tribal inheritance, because they were going to rule over all the nations not as gentiles but as future Jews.

So the early Jewish model of some Jews ruling over other Jews in the capacity of priests, was to perhaps be replaced with all Jews becoming priestly rulers over the nations of gentiles, thus becoming one nation of Israel with no distinction between Jews and gentile, all being Israel on the whole globe.

This idea of course not being realized as above, but via one Jew who is a priest and king, by Jesus. So perhaps now Jesus is the only priest and king which might mean that the two class system is now defunct save for Jesus over all people. So now there is no priestly class at all because it was just part of a prophetic arrangement that was always going to include all nations on the earth. It was there to begin with because God had to start somewhere and in order to prepare the Jewish mind for the idea that God wanted to include all people as his one people in the future.

If this is true it may mean that anyone who thinks they are part of a priestly class is turning back the clock and becoming a rival priest to Jesus, this becoming a kind of Antichrist without even knowing it.

Just a few musings.

08-05-2010 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Random thoughts!

Seraphim Wrote:
This idea of course not being realized as above, but via one Jew who is a priest and king, by Jesus. So perhaps now Jesus is the only priest and king which might mean that the two class system is now defunct save for Jesus over all people. So now there is no priestly class at all because it was just part of a prophetic arrangement that was always going to include all nations on the earth. It was there to begin with because God had to start somewhere and in order to prepare the Jewish mind for the idea that God wanted to include all people as his one people in the future.

Amen! Absolutely. Right on. I think of what Jesus said to the Pharisees about the Old Testament Scriptures, "These are they that speak of me." Also he said, "That all the things written about me in the law, prophets, and psalms". The main theme of the Bible, especially the religious system of the Old Testament, is Jesus Christ and him crucified as a substitutionary sacrifice for sinners. That is essentially the main objection to the Catholic system. The priesthood has been fulfilled in Christ. There is now a "priesthood of all believers".

1 Peter 2:9 seems to be a key verse. "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." (ESV)

As Martin Luther wrote in his, "To the Christian Nobility of the German Nation" in 1520:

That the pope or bishop anoints, makes tonsures, ordains, consecrates, or dresses differently from the laity, may make a hypocrite or an idolatrous oil-painted icon, but it in no way makes a Christian or spiritual human being. In fact, we are all consecrated priests through Baptism, as St. Peter in 1 Peter 2[:9] says, "You are a royal priesthood and a priestly kingdom," and Revelation [5:10], "Through your blood you have made us into priests and kings."

Two months later Luther wrote in his "On the Babylonian Captivity of the Church":

How then if they are forced to admit that we are all equally priests, as many of us as are baptized, and by this way we truly are; while to them is committed only the Ministry and consented to by us? If they recognize this they would know that they have no right to exercise power over us (in what has not been committed to them) except insofar as we may have granted it to them, for thus it says in 1 Peter 2, "You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a priestly kingdom." In this way we are all priests, as many of us as are Christians. There are indeed priests whom we call ministers. They are chosen from among us, and who do everything in our name. That is a priesthood which is nothing else than the Ministry. Thus 1 Corinthians 4:1: "No one should regard us as anything else than ministers of Christ and dispensers of the mysteries of God."

Matt

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
08-05-2010 08:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
jayme

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Random thoughts!

Interesting thoughts!

Revelation 20:4 (New International Version)

4I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

The above came to mind. It seems to suggest that at least some will recieve thrones and authority to judge and reign with Christ.

As for 1 peter 2:9, I think Luthers comments are correct.
"In this way we are all priests, as many of us as are Christians."

Peters statement is in the present tense, indicating that all believers on earth constitute a type of priesthood and a holy nation for the purpose of proclaiming "the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light."

1 Peter 2:9
"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." (ESV)

I am thinking that this statment in 2 peter is not refering to persons who might recieve a future appointment to rule with Christ, but is talking about all christians alive at anytime before the first resurrection. In a sense we are all, right now, a royal priesthood and a holy nation joined to Christ and the Father thru the New Covenant, a people for his own possession.

“It has been accomplished!” - John 19:30
08-06-2010 12:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites