Latest News: The Great Trubulation

The Significance of Numbers 9:14
JWHVACR
Older Man

Group: Registered Plus
The Significance of Numbers 9:14

What do you suppose these words, as found at Number 9:14 signify for us today?

‘And if an alien should come into your land and wish to observe the Passover to Jehovah, he must do so according to the laws and instructions concerning the Passover. So there is just one law [concerning this], and it applies to both natives and aliens.’

"Our minds don't control our beliefs, our beliefs control our minds."
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
"Buying into someone's religious, philosophical, or political teachings is the point where you've decided to allow them to do your thinking for you."
09-07-2010 06:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
NewTruth

RE: The Significance of Numbers 9:14

one thing came to mind:

All should partake of the emblems if they desire.

09-07-2010 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user
ablebodiedman

JWHVACR Wrote:
What do you suppose these words, as found at Number 9:14 signify for us today?

‘And if an alien should come into your land and wish to observe the Passover to Jehovah, he must do so according to the laws and instructions concerning the Passover. So there is just one law [concerning this], and it applies to both natives and aliens.’

JWHVACR,

An alien is a gentile, people of the nations.

I think it foreshadows what Jesus Christ said to his Apostles immediately after his death and resurrection:

Matthew 28
However, the eleven disciples went into Gal´i·lee to the mountain where Jesus had arranged for them, 17 and when they saw him they did obeisance, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

A commandment from Jesus Christ becomes a law.

Jesus Christ makes the laws.

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
09-07-2010 02:12 PM
jayme

Hey bro. Jim, its always great to hear from you!

If the passover prefigured what was to come, then for us today could it not be rewritten this way? :

‘And if a Gentile should come into your land and wish to be reconciled to Jehovah, he must do so according to the laws and instructions concerning the Lords evening meal. So there is just one law [concerning this], and it applies to both Jew and Gentile.’

:thinking:

“It has been accomplished!” - John 19:30
09-08-2010 05:31 AM
ablebodiedman

I guess the big questions to ask; "what is that ONE law"?

The Unforgivable Sin
09-08-2010 09:41 AM
littleone

If I remember correctly, an alien resident could not partake of the passover unless they were circumcised. The same law applied to all. I can't remember where the scripture is though... I think it was somewhere in Exodus just before they were about to depart from Egypt that it was mentioned. :dontknow:

09-09-2010 09:19 AM
Willa
Peace, baby!

Group: Moderator

littleone Wrote:
If I remember correctly, an alien resident could not partake of the passover unless they were circumcised. The same law applied to all. I can't remember where the scripture is though... I think it was somewhere in Exodus just before they were about to depart from Egypt that it was mentioned. :dontknow:

I think I found what you're refering to, littleone ---

Exodus 12:48
"But if a stranger sojourns with you, and celebrates the Passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near to celebrate it; and he shall be like a native of the land. But no uncircumcised person may eat of it.

This also relates, now, to the circumcision of the heart, for both Jew and Gentile.

:peace:

:heartbeat: You are my friends! I don't think it just by chance, but by God's Grand Design, that He has guided both our steps... to let your paths cross mine. :heartbeat:
09-09-2010 10:02 AM
littleone

Willa Wrote:

littleone Wrote:

I think I found what you're refering to, littleone ---

Exodus 12:48
"But if a stranger sojourns with you, and celebrates the Passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near to celebrate it; and he shall be like a native of the land. But no uncircumcised person may eat of it.

This also relates, now, to the circumcision of the heart, for both Jew and Gentile.

:peace:

Yes... there it is. Good find. That's exactly what I was referring to. And of course you are correct with it now referring to the circumcision of the heart. :)

09-09-2010 11:50 AM
littleone

Furthermore, the verse right after the one Willa mentions says this:

"One law is to exist for the native and for the alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst.” - Exodus 12:49

Once again... good find Willa. :thumbsup:

09-09-2010 12:05 PM
gogh
Participator

Group: Moderator

One law is not necessarily a single rule or regulation. One law could very well be a collection of rules prescribed under an authority.

definition (in part) of...law:

1...principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision.

2...written or positive rule or collection of rules prescribed under the authority of the state or nation, as by the people in its constitution. Compare bylaw, statute law.

3...controlling influence of such rules; the condition of society brought about by their observance: maintaining law and order.

4...system or collection of such rules.

5...department of knowledge concerned with these rules; jurisprudence: to study law.

6...body of such rules concerned with a particular subject

:drinking: :coffeeread: :drinking:

"......."This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Keep listening to him!" Luke 9:35
09-09-2010 01:03 PM
ablebodiedman

gogh Wrote:
One law is not necessarily a single rule or regulation. One law could very well be a collection of rules prescribed under an authority.

definition (in part) of...law:

1...principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision.

2...written or positive rule or collection of rules prescribed under the authority of the state or nation, as by the people in its constitution. Compare bylaw, statute law.

3...controlling influence of such rules; the condition of society brought about by their observance: maintaining law and order.

4...system or collection of such rules.

5...department of knowledge concerned with these rules; jurisprudence: to study law.

6...body of such rules concerned with a particular subject

:drinking: :coffeeread: :drinking:

gogh,

I think you are correct.

It could be a collection of of rules prescribed under an authority.

In the whole of the New Testament I can find only one law which came directly from God.

"This is my son the beloved, listen to him"

I think the scripture in Numbers 9:14 is entirely valid under this one law:

Numbers 9:14

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
09-09-2010 01:13 PM
jayme

A few thoughts:

Before Christ the ONE law very well could be THE LAW of Moses. As we know the old Law was a tutor leading us to Christ.
Now that Christ has come, we are under the LAW OF THE CHRIST - LOVE.
In fact Paul states that Love is the Laws fullfillment. Rom. 13:10.

We have now come to Christ and circumcised our hearts (Rom 3:29-31)by means of faith so as to come into the New Covenant where now the law is written upon our hearts (Jer. 31:33), that new law of the Christ, the law of love. Love for Jehovah, love for Christ Jesus, love for our brother and our neighbor.

This is the root of what Paul is speaking about when he writes about scrutinizing ourselves to see if we are worthy to share in the cup and in the loaf. (1 Cor. 11:27,28) Are we endevoring to live by the power of this Law of Love which we profess and have come under? This is the ONE LAW.

:heartbeat:

Jayme

“It has been accomplished!” - John 19:30
09-10-2010 04:39 AM
ablebodiedman

jayme Wrote:
A few thoughts:

Before Christ the ONE law very well could be THE LAW of Moses. As we know the old Law was a tutor leading us to Christ.
Now that Christ has come, we are under the LAW OF THE CHRIST - LOVE.
In fact Paul states that Love is the Laws fullfillment. Rom. 13:10.

We have now come to Christ and circumcised our hearts (Rom 3:29-31)by means of faith so as to come into the New Covenant where now the law is written upon our hearts (Jer. 31:33), that new law of the Christ, the law of love. Love for Jehovah, love for Christ Jesus, love for our brother and our neighbor.

This is the root of what Paul is speaking about when he writes about scrutinizing ourselves to see if we are worthy to share in the cup and in the loaf. (1 Cor. 11:27,28) Are we endevoring to live by the power of this Law of Love which we profess and have come under? This is the ONE LAW.

:heartbeat:

Jayme

Jayme,

Thanks for the post above!

Romans 13:8
Do not YOU people be owing anybody a single thing, except to love one another; for he that loves his fellowman has fulfilled [the] law. 9 For the [law code], “You must not commit adultery, You must not murder, You must not steal, You must not covet,” and whatever other commandment there is, is summed up in this word, namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor; therefore love is the law’s fulfillment.

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
09-10-2010 02:23 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites