Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Spamming/Scamming update
Resolute
politicus incorrectissimus in extremis

Group: Moderator
Spamming/Scamming update

Note to would-be spammers: We have zero tolerance for spam!

It's been a little while since we were hit by that massive PM scam often referred to as "the Nigerian scam" but every day we get 2-4 new "sign-ons" that need to be checked out to see if they are active spammers on the web.

There are some very good resources out there for checking IPs and emails as well as user names. But actually, quite a few are found by old fashioned legwork....(or fingerwork)

This is time-consuming to say the least but is totally worth it. We've seen some forum member lists buried in spammer-sign ons. Most of them are 0 posters. But many of them, wanting to gain access to member lists realize that many forums are adopting a policy of requiring a minimum of 3 posts before newbies are allowed to see member lists or to send and receive PMs and emails.

We've gone a step further because we've seen spammers quickly put up inane and robotic posts....usually resurrecting an old thread that suits their commercial agenda. So we read their posts carefully to make sure they're not including a signature that can, at a later time be changed to include an active commercial link.

We've got some sharp-eyed members who are good at spotting these and we're ever so grateful for their help. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

This last year in particular has been difficult in the spam department and some members have encountered some glitches in attempting to sign on. Our apologies to those who have been affected.:redface:

We suggest that you each have a buddy or two who has your email addy so you can get help via them when all else fails.:help:

Please don't hesitate to inform someone on the admin. team if you have ANY problem with spamming or if you have any problems due to our security protocols.

love to all,:grouphug:
admin. team member rez

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one… – Edmund Burke
11-28-2010 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Resolute

RE: Spamming/Scamming update

:blush: ...here I am again...starting to sound like a mother hen (and that's LLEE's job)

Here's a little info that I hope will be of use:

Some of these spammers are 'harvesters'. They sign on and make 1-3 rather generic posts with the intention of being allowed to view the member list and profiles. They're looking for open email addresses. Here at Paradise Cafe this doesn't happen automatically for that very reason.

Here's the unfortunate thing -- while some 'comment spammers' or those with an active link in their signatures can be spotted by members or mods, the 'harvesters' can often go undetected.

May I suggest that if you don't want your email addys to be collected by these folks, you don't post them openly on your profiles.

Spamming is becoming big business and is a plague on the internet.

Spam bots get caught in 'recaptcha' when they attempt to register. So the ones running the show use an army of gaming kids in places like China where they can't afford their own internet access. They recruit them to get through 'recaptcha' for them and then send in the 'bots' to do the rest. The kids get gaming time as a reward for their services.

Forum administrators can only do so much in detecting the various means being used by spammers without shutting out genuine members.

Please, peeps, use private means to share your email addys.

with concern,
rez:detective:

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one… – Edmund Burke
12-05-2010 11:43 AM
Paul

Group: Registered Plus

Hey Rez,

I belong to another forum where I am one of the moderators. We have a feature which does not allow a poster to begin posting unless he/she is approved first. It has worked pretty well. We catch the obvious spammers and sometimes the loony tunes. I don't know if you guys have that same feature, but I think it would help you in preventing spammers and crazies from posting in the first place.

Paul

12-20-2010 03:39 PM
Resolute

Hey Paul:hibye:

Sorry to be late in getting back to you. I've been (and still am) traveling out of town. I don't get much time on the computer. :(

Your method seems a good one, albeit labor intensive. We remove most spammers before they get going but the odd one slips through. If you PM the PC Admin with your program I know the info will be helpful.

We get up to four and sometimes more new sign-ons a day and the majority are spammers. It's work no matter how you do it to get them cleaned off. When boards reach a certain size it's like a magnet for them. Yikes! The scourge of the internet!:help:

Thanks again for the info.:thumbup:

rez

12-25-2010 07:19 PM
Bangalore

Group: Registered Plus

Looks like we have a new spammer.

http://www.paradisecafediscussions.net/m...e&uid=1556

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore

"While producing people who were outwardly moral, they subverted the essential qualities of humility, compassion and mercy." - Raymond Franz
http://www.spiritualbrother.blogspot.com/
03-12-2011 10:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Resolute

Boy oh boy! These spammers are always coming up with new ways to do their dirty. Here's the latest and probably the hardest to detect by the usual spam traps.

One person signs on with two accounts -- different user names but same IP address and email. Sometime later one user makes some comment about, say, iphones as in this string of comments from another forum:

Quote:

Quote:
elainehurst170
White City, OR
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 : 11:57:38 AM
I am thinking about buying an iphone, i think it would be cool cuz it serves as my music,phone, and has a bunch of useful apps like calories counters,agendas,dictionaries,books, ect. Is it worth the 99 bucks or not?

Quote:
jessiebernard358
Juneau, AK
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 : 12:04:34 PM
Yes it is really useful, I use mine every day and there are a lot of apps that can also help you organize your classes and homework. The calorie counter I use is caloriecounter1.com It's a very useful investment because you basically have all the things you need to be successful in one product and it will make you very efficient and organized.

Quote:
juliana
your boss
chica_go, ill
USA
7311 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 : 12:04:14 AM
two spammers talking to each other, isn't that beautiful!

oh, no, wait! it's the same person talking to himself!

Quote:
techwrtr2
Content with the default, boring to be around.
Damnation, PA
USA
4712 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 : 10:50:41 AM
That's a novel tactic. spammers talking to themselves. Maybe it's a schizophrenic spammer?

Quote:
juliana
your boss
chica_go, ill
USA
7311 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 : 12:06:32 AM
sure seems like it!

PS: i'm leaving this thread open, feel free to flame

We had this same spammer sign on yesterday with two accounts.

The thing about this method is, there are no links in the comments to rouse suspicion; no signature links either. Eagle eyes, peeps.

rez

04-11-2011 11:36 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites