Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (17): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Who Believes in Evolution?
Seraphim

Group: Registered
Who Believes in Evolution?

Just as a general enquiry I was wondering was I the only person on the board who believes in full evolution? That is all life descending from a single original ancestor including humans. I'm not asking in order to debate on it in this thread but simply to see if I am the only one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who comments to let me know their stand.

12-20-2010 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user
Beau Wetini
Me and my boy at the beach!

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Who Believes in Evolution?

I believe that all life has a single common ancestor, and that is God.

So, I believe in Evolution......of sorts! :friends:

LIVE THE KINGDOM NOW!!

12-20-2010 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

hi brian :hibye: the reason i don't believe as you do on this particular matter is the fact that, in order for me to believe in 'full evolution,' i feel i would have to disregard the bible's entire account of the preparation of the earth as recorded in genesis chapter one.

at the same time, it is my fervent hope and prayer that my spirituality is evolving all the time. ;)

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
12-20-2010 10:46 AM
Seraphim

Does that mean you don't believe in biological evolution from a single ancestor Beau?

12-20-2010 12:27 PM
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

I believe in what has been termed Progressive Creationism, the view that God created new forms of life gradually, over a period of hundreds of millions of years. I will accept mainstream geological and cosmological estimates for the age of the Earth, but I think that the new "kinds" of plants and animals that have appeared over the planet's history are instances of God directly intervening to create those new types. So I reject macroevolution and abiogenesis because I don't believe them to be biologically possible and I don't think it's supported by the fossil record. I also reject the concept of universal descent from a last universal ancestor.

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
12-20-2010 02:38 PM
Seraphim

isomam Wrote:

hi brian :hibye: the reason i don't believe as you do on this particular matter is the fact that, in order for me to believe in 'full evolution,' i feel i would have to disregard the bible's entire account of the preparation of the earth as recorded in genesis chapter one.

at the same time, it is my fervent hope and prayer that my spirituality is evolving all the time. ;)

Thanks for that comment Iso. Its interesting to me to see what the reasons are for people on this topic. The reason you give is quite common. I wont try to convince you otherwise on this thread, but it does show your love for Gods word and I certainly respect that.

12-20-2010 03:26 PM
Seraphim

Mavos Wrote:
I believe in what has been termed Progressive Creationism, the view that God created new forms of life gradually, over a period of hundreds of millions of years. I will accept mainstream geological and cosmological estimates for the age of the Earth, but I think that the new "kinds" of plants and animals that have appeared over the planet's history are instances of God directly intervening to create those new types. So I reject macroevolution and abiogenesis because I don't believe them to be biologically possible and I don't think it's supported by the fossil record. I also reject the concept of universal descent from a last universal ancestor.

Thanks Mavos for your comments. Your reasons for not believing in classic evolution is quite rare, as reasons go in this area. Just as an add-on enquiry, do you believe in a global flood as opposed to a localised one, and if so do you go with progressive creation of all the species after the flood, or the idea that all the species we have today came from representative kinds kept on the ark?

12-20-2010 03:37 PM
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

Seraphim Wrote:

Mavos Wrote:

Thanks Mavos for your comments. Your reasons for not believing in classic evolution is quite rare, as reasons go in this area. Just as an add-on enquiry, do you believe in a global flood as opposed to a localised one, and if so do you go with progressive creation of all the species after the flood, or the idea that all the species we have today came from representative kinds kept on the ark?

No I believe in a local flood that had universal effects. What I mean is, that humanity was pretty much located in one geographical area. The local flood wiped them all out. The animals that Noah saved were local Mesopotamian flood plain animals. So it was "global" in the sense that all humanity but noah was wiped out. But not "global" in terms of geography. The word for "earth" can be "land" and "mountains" can be "hills".

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
12-20-2010 03:45 PM
NewTruth

I guess I believe in some ideas of evolution.. but IMO there isn't any evidence of species going from one to another.. like a elephant going to a rhino.. or a monkey to a man..I can't see how it would happen. They say it happened with favorable mutations.. but mutations arent favorable, that's the problem..

12-20-2010 03:45 PM
Melancholymuse
Christian

I totally agree with you on the mutations thing; no one has ever discovered a mutation that actually benefited the organism.

On top of that, science has shown solid evidence that if a genetic mutation is allowed to replicate it either kills the organism or fixes itself back to a normal state -- evolution is essentially impossible.

Zeal for your house will consume me -- John 2:17 (HCSB)
12-20-2010 10:03 PM
Seraphim

NewTruth Wrote:

I guess I believe in some ideas of evolution.. but IMO there isn't any evidence of species going from one to another.. like a elephant going to a rhino.. or a monkey to a man..I can't see how it would happen. They say it happened with favorable mutations.. but mutations arent favorable, that's the problem..

Hi NewTruth. Your view is similar to Mavos in that he sighted what he thinks the fossil record says, in that he thinks it doesn't show what some call macro evolution, or change from one species to another, and you sight the view that mutations degrade rather than upgrade with the same conclusion that species cant separate from a single pre-existing species. I guess the two views concordantly mutations and fossils dovetail here.

12-21-2010 08:21 AM
Seraphim

Melancholymuse Wrote:
I totally agree with you on the mutations thing; no one has ever discovered a mutation that actually benefited the organism.

On top of that, science has shown solid evidence that if a genetic mutation is allowed to replicate it either kills the organism or fixes itself back to a normal state -- evolution is essentially impossible.

Hi Melancholymuse. Your comment is interesting because you seem to be referring to the built in DNA repairing mechanisms of the cell in combination with what NewTruth said in her view that mutation degrade as opposed to upgrade, meaning that you have two reasons why you think that mutations cant upgrade a species. To me its also interesting that you think that organisms with bad genetic change, if I can phrase it that way, die off. I agree on that point.

So far no one seems to agree with my view of classic evolution with no direct divine intervention.

12-21-2010 08:28 AM
BethelBoy

Micro yes. Full no.

From one type of Dog spring many types of Dogs.

No Alligators turning into seagulls.

NEVER is information added in any mutation only lost.

BB:happyheart::heartbeat::happyheart:

http://www.uplook.org
http://www.voicesforchrist.org/order.html

Jesus sent him away, saying, 39 Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you. And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him.

12-21-2010 09:02 AM
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

BethelBoy Wrote:
Micro yes. Full no.

each "according to their kind," right wayne? :whistle:

what a novel idea. ;)

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
12-21-2010 09:26 AM
Seraphim

BethelBoy Wrote:
Micro yes. Full no.

Its interesting the delineation between micro and macro evolution here. The view that animals on the ark produced all the species on the earth without genetic change is interesting. The view is as you expressed, that from one type of dog produced all the dogs species we have today. The presumption I guess is that because of limited space on the ark, representative kinds were kept on it so Noah didn't have to waist space gathering every type of dog around before the flood for instance.

What I find interesting is that the coyote and fox cannot interbreed, and they have a different number of chromosomes. The coyote has 78 but the Red fox has 38. This would seem to indicate some genetic change that would appear to contradict the non macro evolution view if they came from a single ancestor on the ark.

12-21-2010 09:36 AM
Pages (17): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites