Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (17): « First < Previous 13 14 15 16 [17] Last »
Who Believes in Evolution?
Beau Wetini
Me and my boy at the beach!

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Who Believes in Evolution?

Yes, God is responsible for the dinosaurs.

It's His Universe.

LIVE THE KINGDOM NOW!!

06-05-2011 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Seraphim

Group: Registered

Hi Isomam. You know I really appreciate your concern and zealousness for your point of views. I may disagree with some, and feel others misrepresent my view point ect ect. I do think it shows your love for truth though. For that I say full marks.

It would not be entirely correct to say that I think the creation account is metaphorical. I think it has much more metaphorical substance than some traditionally think. I also think it has the status as a parable and a few other types of literature as in poetry, symbolism and prophesy, which itself is known to be very symbolic much of the time. The word myth I would reject because it has far to much baggage attached to it as a word. So I would not all call it a myth, although in some senses that could have an application, but not in the way as to say its not true in the sense its false, because of the other types of truth it espouses through symbolic or parable like styles of communication. So to put it simply I think its completely true depending on the style of interpretation used, that itself depends on the style employed when it was written down.

I don't think Adam and Eve were literal beings or our first parents if Genesis is taken literally. However to clarify, I also don't think the necessity for Jesus to come in the flesh depended on that literal truth either. I think Jesus was indeed a literal being and also from a divine source. I even happen to think he was God as well because I am a trinitarian, but that's another subject. I am aware of ways of understanding Paul's argument that sin came through Adam in a non literal way. If he thought it was literal or not cannot be 100% known, but even if he did think it literal doesn't actually matter, because God seems to reveal truth according to what's called `progressive revelation` which Jesus confirmed he does.

The ransom view of Christ is a very good one, yet can be applied in ways that do not require a literal Adam and Eve. Such ways make more sense when it comes to Gods goodness and justice as well, but here is not the place to detail them. Christ's death was not futile but essential for a myriad of reasons even outside the ransom views, but those who except evolution because of scientific evidence need a reason to believe as well without rejecting the evidence.

One might assign the scientific evidence to interpretation and reject it on that basis. We all have that right, as do those who have different interpretations of scripture. All one can do is provide the evidence and its up to individuals to decide on the best and most likely explanation for themselves. The key is to study the evidence to see. No one can force a right or more correct view even with the evidence staring them in the face. If though there are other ways to understand the scriptures that do not violate their essence, and such works for those who take the evolutionary view from the scientific data, then should we not pursue, or at least allow for that, even if we don't agree with it, for their benefit?

God doesn't need me as an apologist and I never said he did, but only God knows if he is using me that way. Perhaps God is using you to correct my thinking. That`s up to God and the evidence. The assessment of evidence is critical to faith. If there no evidence for Christ it would be stupid to believe in him. The reason so many do is because the evidence is so strong. The evidence for evolution is also very strong. So the methodology used in how one assesses evidence is very important. Its critical that we be fair and unbiased in all areas of evidence or we might be cutting off our own foundation to believe without even knowing it.

My faith in Jesus as the saviour of mankind is solid along with my faith in the gospel, and I can give reasons why. The same is true with my view for evolution. People can except of reject it, its up to them but its nice to be open to other views and people who have those views if we can. Sometimes we cant but sometimes we can. The key is to not rush to quickly to anything more than a provisional understanding of life the universe and everything. If love is preserved then that's is enough. I hope that answers you a little bit in a satisfactory way.

06-05-2011 08:52 PM
Find all posts by this user
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

Group: Registered Plus

Seraphim Wrote:
Hi Isomam. You know I really appreciate your concern and zealousness for your point of views. I may disagree with some, and feel others misrepresent my view point ect ect. I do think it shows your love for truth though. For that I say full marks.

It would not be entirely correct to say that I think the creation account is metaphorical. I think it has much more metaphorical substance than some traditionally think. I also think it has the status as a parable and a few other types of literature as in poetry, symbolism and prophesy, which itself is known to be very symbolic much of the time. The word myth I would reject because it has far to much baggage attached to it as a word. So I would not all call it a myth, although in some senses that could have an application, but not in the way as to say its not true in the sense its false, because of the other types of truth it espouses through symbolic or parable like styles of communication. So to put it simply I think its completely true depending on the style of interpretation used, that itself depends on the style employed when it was written down.

I don't think Adam and Eve were literal beings or our first parents if Genesis is taken literally. However to clarify, I also don't think the necessity for Jesus to come in the flesh depended on that literal truth either. I think Jesus was indeed a literal being and also from a divine source. I even happen to think he was God as well because I am a trinitarian, but that's another subject. I am aware of ways of understanding Paul's argument that sin came through Adam in a non literal way. If he thought it was literal or not cannot be 100% known, but even if he did think it literal doesn't actually matter, because God seems to reveal truth according to what's called `progressive revelation` which Jesus confirmed he does.

The ransom view of Christ is a very good one, yet can be applied in ways that do not require a literal Adam and Eve. Such ways make more sense when it comes to Gods goodness and justice as well, but here is not the place to detail them. Christ's death was not futile but essential for a myriad of reasons even outside the ransom views, but those who except evolution because of scientific evidence need a reason to believe as well without rejecting the evidence.

One might assign the scientific evidence to interpretation and reject it on that basis. We all have that right, as do those who have different interpretations of scripture. All one can do is provide the evidence and its up to individuals to decide on the best and most likely explanation for themselves. The key is to study the evidence to see. No one can force a right or more correct view even with the evidence staring them in the face. If though there are other ways to understand the scriptures that do not violate their essence, and such works for those who take the evolutionary view from the scientific data, then should we not pursue, or at least allow for that, even if we don't agree with it, for their benefit?

God doesn't need me as an apologist and I never said he did, but only God knows if he is using me that way. Perhaps God is using you to correct my thinking. That`s up to God and the evidence. The assessment of evidence is critical to faith. If there no evidence for Christ it would be stupid to believe in him. The reason so many do is because the evidence is so strong. The evidence for evolution is also very strong. So the methodology used in how one assesses evidence is very important. Its critical that we be fair and unbiased in all areas of evidence or we might be cutting off our own foundation to believe without even knowing it.

My faith in Jesus as the saviour of mankind is solid along with my faith in the gospel, and I can give reasons why. The same is true with my view for evolution. People can except of reject it, its up to them but its nice to be open to other views and people who have those views if we can. Sometimes we cant but sometimes we can. The key is to not rush to quickly to anything more than a provisional understanding of life the universe and everything. If love is preserved then that's is enough. I hope that answers you a little bit in a satisfactory way.

hi brian. i very much appreciate the calm, measured tone of your reply. i am also a believer in the 'progressive revelation' paradigm. in fact, that is what moves me to wait and see what god eventually reveals to us concerning many of these things.

i suppose for now we will need to simply agree to disagree on some matters. but i don't see that as an obstacle to our christian brotherhood or our mutual love and respect for one another. i'm guessing you don't either.

christian love, ... iso

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
06-05-2011 09:02 PM
Seraphim

Group: Registered

Definitely ! No obstacle to our Christian brotherhood or our mutual love and respect for one another at all, in fact the opposite. I can see your love and zeal.

06-05-2011 10:03 PM
Pages (17): « First < Previous 13 14 15 16 [17] Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites