Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Where are the Mountains if not geographic Jerusalem?
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Where are the Mountains if not geographic Jerusalem?

Hi Willa

Willa Wrote:

Quote:

From what words or phrases within those scriptures are we to suppose they're anything but literal geographic Jerusalem? Is there a good reason to type/antitype this particular scenario?

I can't find any in Matthew 24... but I know lots of people do. We also need to explain "Judea", the "disgusting thing", the "holy place", "Jerusalem", "encamped armies", "country places", "sabbath day", "wintertime".

Quote:
As was explained to me by a sister, we NEED to know who the f&ds are - we need to FIND them and be 'fed' by them and loyally OBEDIENT to them as per Jesus' instructions, because only they have been given authority over the Christian congregations. (Jesus never instucted such a thing, nor does the wt teach the truth about Jesus' sheep, etc., etc., etc...).

This is an interesting point. The question is... who DID Jesus appoint over his domestics? I only see Jesus appointing a limited number of people...

"And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every infirmity..." (Matt 10:1)

"After this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to come." (Luke 10:1)

Later on, Jesus chose Paul, and Paul chose elders to shepherd the congregations. I would suggest to you that all those placed in such a capacity are the subject of Jesus' parable.

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
03-21-2011 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Hi isomam

isomam Wrote:
is it possible that jesus' injunction (for the second and larger fulfillment) is addressed to a larger audience than 'christians' only?

Let us quickly consider what Jesus said (at least, the key part):

"So when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains..." (24:15,16 RSV)

I'm curious to know how non-Christians are supposed to interpret "the desolating sacrilege", the "holy place", "Judea" and "the mountains".

How is the non-Christian reader supposed to "understand"?

Especially if it's true that...

Judea = Christendom
"the mountains" = "Jehovah and Jesus"
"the desolating sacrilege" = JWs putting their organization in place of the baptismal vows (aka Abe)

...and other such interpretations as suggested in this thread or elsewhere on the forum.

Should they try interpreting it for themselves? Or do they need a mouthpiece of God (aka the WTS or some other self-proclaimed prophet) to do it for them?

( Or... should they... as is my own personal opinion... read it AS IS? :) )

Remember, the WTS currently teaches that larger audience that Daniel talks about the Governing Body being imprisoned in 1919, Nazi Germany, the cold war between the U.S.S.R and America, followed by... they don't know what :) ... oh, with Daniel's people being "happy" after 1,335 days because of an organizational adjustment that occurred in the pages of the Watchtower!

So unless someone can point out a simple way this "larger audience" are supposed to figure it out, I'll stick with my premise that Jesus was talking to those in Judea in the 1st century.

As a certain signature says... "TRUTH IS SIMPLE."

Wouldn't you agree? :)

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
03-21-2011 09:44 PM
ablebodiedman

Willa Wrote:

Quote:

From what words or phrases within those scriptures are we to suppose they're anything but literal geographic Jerusalem? Is there a good reason to type/antitype this particular scenario?

Willa,

That has been discussed in never ending circles on hundreds of other threads.

That is why I made the statement in the first post so we would not be trapped into going around the same old and very tired arguments, never making any progress.

Quote:
As was explained to me by a sister, we NEED to know who the f&ds are - we need to FIND them and be 'fed' by them and loyally OBEDIENT to them as per Jesus' instructions, because only they have been given authority over the Christian congregations. (Jesus never instucted such a thing, nor does the wt teach the truth about Jesus' sheep, etc., etc., etc...).

After reading the prophecy about the sheep and the goats which I believe is a continuation and clarification of Jesus Christs preceding statements in the Olivet discourse then I wonder if either the sheep or the goats really do know who the F&DS really are.

The prophecy indicates that people will be seperated by how they (we) treat Jesus Christs brothers.

Even Jesus Christs own brothers will be judged on how they themselves treat Jesus Christs own brothers.

In order for that to be a successful judgment then it seems to indicate that every single Christian will have an opportunity to either mistreat or support at least one of them during their lifetime.

Thats my opinion which I do not think is exactly how the Watchtower interprets that prophecy.

I do think it is a worthwhile thing to research.

Quote:
She also repeated another wt twist - "where else could we possibly go?" We well know the difference inferred by correcting the 'where' to 'whom'. And it just feels to me like that's where this is going. Could be wrong - happens lots!

I don't know where this is going however, those who have participated in the theme of this thread have raised a lot of very good points and provided great information.

If you read the post above it will soon be turned into yet another preterist/futurist thread.

Unless a moderator is willing to step in and help, this thread won't be going anywhere, like all the other preterist/futurist threads.

Quote:
What do you think is the answer to your own question? Just bottom-line it for us, won't you Abe? Can't help but wonder if this is progressing into a watchtoweresque lesson.

I do not know the answer.

After initiating this thread I now understand a lot more than prior.

If I knew the answer then I would already be there:

Isaiah 2:2
And it must occur in the final part of the days [that] the mountain of the house of Jehovah will become firmly established above the top of the mountains, and it will certainly be lifted up above the hills; and to it all the nations must stream.

So my motive for initiating this thread should be beneficial for everyone if we do indeed find the answer.

Unlike the preterist/futurist arguments which always end up nowhere.

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
03-21-2011 09:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

Interpretum Wrote:
Hi isomam

isomam Wrote:
is it possible that jesus' injunction (for the second and larger fulfillment) is addressed to a larger audience than 'christians' only?

Let us quickly consider what Jesus said (at least, the key part):

"So when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains..." (24:15,16 RSV)

I'm curious to know how non-Christians are supposed to interpret "the desolating sacrilege", the "holy place", "Judea" and "the mountains".

How is the non-Christian reader supposed to "understand"?

Especially if it's true that...

Judea = Christendom
"the mountains" = "Jehovah and Jesus"
"the desolating sacrilege" = JWs putting their organization in place of the baptismal vows (aka Abe)

...and other such interpretations as suggested in this thread or elsewhere on the forum.

Should they try interpreting it for themselves? Or do they need a mouthpiece of God (aka the WTS or some other self-proclaimed prophet) to do it for them?

( Or... should they... as is my own personal opinion... read it AS IS? :) )

Remember, the WTS currently teaches that larger audience that Daniel talks about the Governing Body being imprisoned in 1919, Nazi Germany, the cold war between the U.S.S.R and America, followed by... they don't know what :) ... oh, with Daniel's people being "happy" after 1,335 days because of an organizational adjustment that occurred in the pages of the Watchtower!

So unless someone can point out a simple way this "larger audience" are supposed to figure it out, I'll stick with my premise that Jesus was talking to those in Judea in the 1st century.

As a certain signature says... "TRUTH IS SIMPLE."

Wouldn't you agree? :)

'twas merely a question. :wink: [not exactly rhetorical; maybe more of a "food for thought" type question.]

btw, i don't subscribe to all of your "especially if it's true that" 's

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
03-21-2011 10:00 PM
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Hi Abe

ablebodiedman Wrote:
The prophecy indicates that people will be seperated by how they (we) treated Jesus Christs brothers.

In order for that to be a successful judgment then it seems to indicate that every single Christian will have an opportunity to either mistreat or support at least one of them during their lifetime.

Thats my opinion which I do not think is exactly how the Watchtower interprets that prophecy.

I do think it is a worthwhile thing to research.

Interesting. I agree with you, and it certainly deserves some separate discussion.

Quote:
If you read the post above it will soon be turned into yet another preterist/futurist thread. Unless a moderator is willing to step in and help this thread won't be going anywhere.

No need, I can take a hint. I will leave you to your thread... just remember that buildings built on sand cannot stand for long.

03-21-2011 10:18 PM
ablebodiedman

isomam Wrote:

is it possible that jesus' injunction (for the second and larger fulfillment) is addressed to a larger audience than 'christians' only? :whistle:

isomam,

This is a good question in regard to any of the scriptures.

Who is the audience?

The Old Testament was clearly targeted at the Jews although it did mention foreigners joining themselves to the Israelites.

I believe Matthew Chapter 24 is targeted at Christians only.

Consider this:

Matthew 24:23-24
“Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

"Then if anyone says to you" seems like it is addressing those people who have indeed already obeyed Jesus Christs admonishment and fled.

Certainly after having fled the question those people should be considering is; "where to go?".

That is what we are doing in this thread ............ right.

Jesus Christs response gives direction by helping his audience understand where not to go.

"False Christs and false prophets" suggests an entirely Christian audience.

Athiests, Muslims, Jews, Hindu, etcetera are not going to listen to the true Christ, let alone a false one.

After having fled I can understand the need to reorganize however, Jesus Christs answer gives some comfort that this is perhaps not necessary.

Matthew 24:27
For just as the lightning comes out of eastern parts and shines over to western parts, so the presence of the Son of man will be

We are to expect a great tribulation prior to being gathered through Jesus Christs own direct action.

Why gather his people together if his people are already gathered together?

Immediately after fleeing we should indeed expect to be scattered.

Matthew 24:31
And he will send forth his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from one extremity of the heavens to their other extremity.

Once this angelic interference is complete we really should be gathered together in the right place:

Matthew 13:42-43
At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun IN the kingdom of their Father. Let him that has ears listen.

This scripture suggests to me that the righteous ones are not "IN the kingdom" at the time Jesus Christ returns.

It also suggests that "the kingdom" is indeed here at the time Jesus Christ returns.

Are they the ones that fled? ............. the kingdom.

Lots to think about.

Perhaps that is why he said; "Let him that has ears listen".

Suggesting that the truth is not so simple as many would prefer we believe.

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
03-22-2011 11:39 AM
ablebodiedman

ablebodiedman Wrote:

Interpretum Wrote:
Hi Abe

ablebodiedman Wrote:
Jerusalem and the mountains are not geographic.

Please see the title of this thread.

If you want to start yet another preterist discussion please use one of the many thousands of other threads you have diverted.

I understand the title of this thread, and I'm not trying to divert it. Challenging your theories is hardly "diverting" this thread... unless you're just looking for people to agree with you.

I simply want to understand...

How does Joel 2:32 fit in with this? "...for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones"... specifically, what is Jerusalem here, and why are escaped ones IN Jerusalem here?

I think this is important for identifying "Jerusalem" and "the mountains"... don't you?

Interpretum,

In my opinion Mount Zion, Jerusalem, the Booth of David are the spiritual entity which began its rebuilding in the 1st Century. (Acts 15)

Having been undermined by a man of lawlessness, a son of destruction, a disgusting thing immediately prior to the conclusion of things God's people are to flee. (2Th2 and Mt24)

The ones who undermined the spiritual entity will be desolated at the conclusion of the system of things.

After the conclusion of the system of things spiritual Jerusalem and Mount Zion will be repossessed by the ones who initially escaped.

Matthew 25:34
Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, YOU who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for YOU from the founding of the world.

That is how I reconcile the circumstances.

Which brings me back to the topic of this thread:

In Christ

abe

Found some more information which supports the re-possesing of the kingdom in reference to Mount Zion.

Joel 2:31-32
And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones, just as Jehovah has said, and in among the survivors, whom Jehovah is calling.

This scripture suggests that the escaped ones will be IN the kingdom.

What did the escaped ones escape from?

The same kingdom.

Notice the very similar expression made by Obadiah:

Obadiah 17
And in Mount Zion is where those escaping will prove to be, and it must become something holy; and the house of Jacob must take possession of the things for them to possess.

and it must become something holy--- suggesting that prior to this it was not holy. (2Th2)

and the house of Jacob must take possession of the things for them to possess. ------- suggesting that the ones who should have possessed Mount Zion did not previously possess it.

A re-possession!

Now think carefully about this scripture in regard to re-possession.

Romans 9:25-26
It is as he says also in Ho·se´a: “Those not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved ‘beloved’; 26 and in the place where it was said to them, ‘YOU are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’

The 'sons of the living God' are not in the place where it was said to them; ‘YOU are not my people,’

Yet in that same place they will eventually be called; 'sons of the living God'.

Suggesting a re-possession.

In my opinion the return of Jesus Christ will result in a desolation of, gathering together and then re-possession of Mount Zion or Jesus Christs Kingdom.

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
03-22-2011 04:13 PM
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

ablebodiedman Wrote:
[quote=ablebodiedman]
Found some more information which supports the re-possesing of the kingdom in reference to Mount Zion.

Joel 2:31-32
And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones, just as Jehovah has said, and in among the survivors, whom Jehovah is calling.

This scripture suggests that the escaped ones will be IN the kingdom.

What did the escaped ones escape from?

The same kingdom.

Notice the very similar expression made by Obadiah:

Obadiah 17
And in Mount Zion is where those escaping will prove to be, and it must become something holy; and the house of Jacob must take possession of the things for them to possess.

and it must become something holy--- suggesting that prior to this it was not holy. (2Th2)

and the house of Jacob must take possession of the things for them to possess. ------- suggesting that the ones who should have possessed Mount Zion did not previously possess it.

A re-possession!

Now think carefully about this scripture in regard to re-possession.

Romans 9:25-26
It is as he says also in Ho·se´a: “Those not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved ‘beloved’; 26 and in the place where it was said to them, ‘YOU are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’

Sounds like this may refer to the Gentiles. God was saying, "you are not my people" But eventually, they would be!

The 'sons of the living God' are not in the place where it was said to them; ‘YOU are not my people,’

Yet in that same place they will eventually be called; 'sons of the living God'.

Suggesting a re-possession.

In my opinion the return of Jesus Christ will result in a desolation of, gathering together and then re-possession of Mount Zion or Jesus Christs Kingdom.

In Christ

abe

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
03-22-2011 05:03 PM
isomam

ablebodiedman Wrote:

isomam Wrote:

is it possible that jesus' injunction (for the second and larger fulfillment) is addressed to a larger audience than 'christians' only? :whistle:

isomam,

This is a good question in regard to any of the scriptures.

Who is the audience?

The Old Testament was clearly targeted at the Jews although it did mention foreigners joining themselves to the Israelites.

I believe Matthew Chapter 24 is targeted at Christians only.

Consider this:

Matthew 24:23-24
“Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

"Then if anyone says to you" seems like it is addressing those people who have indeed already obeyed Jesus Christs admonishment and fled.

Certainly after having fled the question those people should be considering is; "where to go?".

That is what we are doing in this thread ............ right.

Jesus Christs response gives direction by helping his audience understand where not to go.

"False Christs and false prophets" suggests an entirely Christian audience.

Athiests, Muslims, Jews, Hindu, etcetera are not going to listen to the true Christ, let alone a false one.

After having fled I can understand the need to reorganize however, Jesus Christs answer gives some comfort that this is perhaps not necessary.

Matthew 24:27
For just as the lightning comes out of eastern parts and shines over to western parts, so the presence of the Son of man will be

We are to expect a great tribulation prior to being gathered through Jesus Christs own direct action.

Why gather his people together if his people are already gathered together?

Immediately after fleeing we should indeed expect to be scattered.

Matthew 24:31
And he will send forth his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from one extremity of the heavens to their other extremity.

Once this angelic interference is complete we really should be gathered together in the right place:

Matthew 13:42-43
At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun IN the kingdom of their Father. Let him that has ears listen.

This scripture suggests to me that the righteous ones are not "IN the kingdom" at the time Jesus Christ returns.

It also suggests that "the kingdom" is indeed here at the time Jesus Christ returns.

Are they the ones that fled? ............. the kingdom.

Lots to think about.

Perhaps that is why he said; "Let him that has ears listen".

Suggesting that the truth is not so simple as many would prefer we believe.

In Christ

abe

abe, i fully understand that you are not presently able to see the simple truth (and, therefore, the utter beauty) of god's loving plan of salvation for the human family. ... i won't go into what i consider to be the causative factors for that condition of yours, at this time. ... the fact that such is the present reality, though, causes me great sadness for you, in that you put yourself through so much irrelevancy and so many irrational gyrations ... for what? unless you happen to be one who "simply" enjoys suffering ??? (i.e., "martyr complex.")

don't worry, though. i am quite confident the time is coming when you will see everything very differently.

with continuing love and respect,

your christian brother, ... isomam

[ps: you and interpretum have a go at each other from time to time ... and you both seem uncomfortable with the postulate that truth is simple. ... hmmm. ... makes me think maybe i'm on the right track.] :wink: :whistle: :thumbup:

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
03-22-2011 06:37 PM
ablebodiedman

isomam Wrote:

abe, i fully understand that you are not presently able to see the simple truth (and, therefore, the utter beauty) of god's loving plan of salvation for the human family. ... i won't go into what i consider to be the causative factors for that condition of yours, at this time. ... the fact that such is the present reality, though, causes me great sadness for you, in that you put yourself through so much irrelevancy and so many irrational gyrations ... for what? unless you happen to be one who "simply" enjoys suffering ??? (i.e., "martyr complex.")

don't worry, though. i am quite confident the time is coming when you will see everything very differently.

[ps: you and interpretum have a go at each other from time to time ... and you both seem uncomfortable with the postulate that truth is simple. ... hmmm. ... makes me think maybe i'm on the right track.] :wink: :whistle: :thumbup:

isomam,

Well this is a place for bible research and Christian encouragement so I encourage you to share your simple truth.

isomam Wrote:

You seem to feel there may be a second and larger fulfillment.

So what is the simple answer?

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
03-22-2011 09:55 PM
isomam

ablebodiedman Wrote:

isomam Wrote:

isomam,

Well this is a place for bible research and Christian encouragement so I encourage you to share your simple truth.

isomam Wrote:

You seem to feel there may be a second and larger fulfillment.

So what is the simple answer?

In Christ

abe

sometimes, i think it is more appropriate to simply pose 'riddles,' or questions, and permit those whose hearts are prepared to have holy spirit direct them to the 'answers.' -- 'taint up to me to 'save' anybody, abe. nor, for that matter, to 'edumacate' anybody, either. (both of those functions are in much better hands than mine. ... or yours.) :friends:

[so just what is it up to me to do? ... love. and encourage.]

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
03-22-2011 10:10 PM
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Hi isomam

isomam Wrote:
ps: you and interpretum have a go at each other from time to time ... and you both seem uncomfortable with the postulate that truth is simple. ... hmmm. ... makes me think maybe i'm on the right track.

Just out of curiosity... what is more simple than viewing Judea as meaning the Roman province of Judea (which existed until it was renamed Palestine in the 2nd century), the mountains as the mountains of Israel, and the "sabbath day" to mean the sabbath day that the Jews held sacred?

I fully believe in your postulate. Truth IS simple. And that's why Abe indirectly excluded that line of reasoning from this thread :)

03-22-2011 10:18 PM
isomam

ablebodiedman Wrote:

we already covered that, abe. :wink: ya gotta pay attention and ya gotta keep up. (grin...)

check back to posts 16, 17, 25, 32, and other subsequent posts. :whistle:

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
03-22-2011 10:18 PM
isomam

Interpretum Wrote:
Hi isomam

isomam Wrote:
ps: you and interpretum have a go at each other from time to time ... and you both seem uncomfortable with the postulate that truth is simple. ... hmmm. ... makes me think maybe i'm on the right track.

Just out of curiosity... what is more simple than viewing Judea as meaning the Roman province of Judea (which existed until it was renamed Palestine in the 2nd century), the mountains as the mountains of Israel, and the "sabbath day" to mean the sabbath day that the Jews held sacred?

I fully believe in your postulate. Truth IS simple. And that's why Abe indirectly excluded that line of reasoning from this thread :)

no argument from me on that, interpretum. that is the simple truth ... for the first century fulfillment of jesus' words. :wink:

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
03-22-2011 10:25 PM
ablebodiedman

isomam Wrote:

ablebodiedman Wrote:

we already covered that, abe. :wink: ya gotta pay attention and ya gotta keep up. (grin...)

check back to posts 16, 17, 25, 32, and other subsequent posts. :whistle:

isomam,

Yes, there seems to be some consensus that the mountains are Jesus Christ and Jehovah.

So the mountains do not have to be geographical destinations.

There is still many unanswered questions in the thread however, such as those in regard to the sheep and goats prophecy.

I do understand why some Ex-JWs don't want to participate in such a discussion after their own experience in the Watchtower Society with the so called F&DS.

It brings to mind the very same question that Jesus Christ raised:

Matthew 24:45
Who really is the faithful and discreet slave?

If it was simple then we would all know the answer.

This thread represents a small opportunity to examine all those questions without being turned into yet another preterist/futurist discussion which always leads to nowhere.

What I have found comfort in from initiating this thread is that there are many futurists on this forum.

Futurists who do not have much opportunity to research their own convictions.

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
03-23-2011 01:36 PM
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites