Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Prophets or Prophesying Today?
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Group: Moderator
Prophets or Prophesying Today?

Good afternoon beloved ones ... :love::hug:

In light of some recent topics and some responses to them I thought that perhaps having a topic defining ...

What IS a PROPHET ...?

What is the meaning of PROPHESYING ...?

Is there to be any PROPHESYING done in our day ...?

Do Jehovah's Witnesses (aka) FDS, anointed remnant fall under any of these categories ...?

I think if we can come to some understanding on these points ... then maybe we will help 'some' come to be in agreement with what the SCRIPTURES say ... and not what 'men' may say or define something as?

Just thought I might throw this out and see what good may come of it.:blush:

Luv as always ... BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

http://bruisedreednotbroke.blogspot.com
04-05-2011 02:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Prophets or Prophesying Today?

BruisedReed Wrote:

In light of some recent topics and some responses to them I thought that perhaps having a topic defining ...

What IS a PROPHET ...?

Do Jehovah's Witnesses (aka) FDS, anointed remnant fall under any of these categories ...?

I think if we can come to some understanding on these points ... then maybe we will help 'some' come to be in agreement with what the SCRIPTURES say ... and not what 'men' may say or define something as?

This comes to my mind BR:
Act 2:17 — And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Funny! I don't see anything here about a organizational GB???
Must have been an oversight.

How many times has the WTO blostered their predictions bu quoting
Eze 33:33
(lo, it will come 935 ,) then shall they know 3045 that a prophet 5030 hath been among 8432 them."
or
Am 3:7 Surely the Lord 136 GOD 3069 will do 6213 nothing 1697, but he revealeth 1540 his secret 5475 unto his servants 5650 the prophets 5030.

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
04-05-2011 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Seraphim

Group: Registered

BruisedReed Wrote:

What IS a PROPHET ...?

Well. A prophet means several interlinking things. One is pronouncing Gods judgements or viewpoints. Another is echoing God viewpoints and judgements although not being directly directed to do so via God voice or spirit. Another is predictive messages from the spirit in various forms. Its lots of things but with God at the heart of it. So communications of various kinds with God at its heart. Prophesying is the communicating with other humans bit. In our day the gifts are still active. How much they are and in what context is a matter of debate.

04-05-2011 03:16 PM
NewTruth

So we should have some prophets in our age that are notable figures then, right? Who would they be?

How about some liberals..?

Bill Maher, Michael Moore? John Lennon?

Who do you think??????

Surely not Pat Robertson, Billy Grahm?

04-05-2011 03:17 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

wow stepped away and came back and saw your responses ... cool ...:thumbsup:

Funny br. emagine ... but your scripture is just one I have been looking at this afternoon ...

So, with that in mind then perhaps another question then might be ...

Are the prophets of old to be DIFFERENT from today ...?

luv me :sheepy:

04-05-2011 03:26 PM
NewTruth

the Kingdom of God is coming exactly as a thief in the night.. I think the new prophets would be outside the established religious and political order of things and they would be pronouncing judgements of corruption going on.. as the OT prophets, as well as Jesus and John the baptist did.

Our entire world system is shaking and crumbling, both religio and political.. As thiefs in the night.. I don't think the prophets would be outright noticible types but more like undercover men.. ha!

04-05-2011 03:53 PM
ablebodiedman

BruisedReed Wrote:
wow stepped away and came back and saw your responses ... cool ...:thumbsup:

Funny br. emagine ... but your scripture is just one I have been looking at this afternoon ...

So, with that in mind then perhaps another question then might be ...

Are the prophets of old to be DIFFERENT from today ...?

luv me :sheepy:

BruisedReed,

I think the only difference is that they may be called ones, the ones that Christ called his brothers, wheras the ancient prophets did not have the opportunity.

In order for the sheep and goats prophecy to be fulfilled I believe every Christian will have at the very least one opportunity to either support or mistreat one of these.

I think what NewTruth said above may have some truth:

NewTruth Wrote:
I don't think the prophets would be outright noticible types but more like undercover men.. ha!

There is a parallel to something told to Jeremiah and also mentioned in regard to the two witnesses in the Book of Revelation:

Jeremiah 5:14
Therefore this is what Jehovah, the God of armies, has said: “For the reason that YOU men are saying this thing, here I am making my words in your mouth a fire, and this people will be pieces of wood, and it will certainly devour them.

Revelation 11:5
And if anyone wants to harm them, fire issues forth from their mouths and devours their enemies;

So I do see some similarities.

I'm guessing that most Christians will not like what any modern day prophet might have to say.

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
04-05-2011 04:36 PM
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Maybe it's even simpler than that. This scripture came to mind...

"...for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." (Rev 19:10)

In other words, it seems that Jehovah wants all prophecy at present to point to Jesus Christ. Isn't this Jehovah's will... that all the ends of the earth turn to Christ?

Incidentally, the book of Revelation is also...

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ". (Rev 1:1)

This can be taken two ways. (1) It's Jesus' revelation. However, we're explicitly told it's God's revelation, and God gave it to Jesus... and (b) that it is a revelation OF Christ.

In other words, Revelation fully reveals Christ's redemptive power. That is why ONLY Jesus can unlock the seven seals because of his shed blood.

It is not simply a book about "the future". It is a book about how Jesus' blood redeems us.

Revelation fully REVEALS Christ.

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
04-05-2011 04:56 PM
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

Agreed, ITPT, that contemporary prophets would focus on Christ. But who are they? Like days of old, these modren prophets would be seen as outcasts from convention, even radical. I think they would be viewed as singular, nonconformists, loners, not mainstream, even neurotic.
<;(

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
04-05-2011 07:36 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Well one thought I had when considering what a 'prophet' was in days of yore was that they always seemed to speak about events YET TO HAPPEN did they not?

So, wouldn't this kind of be an 'identifying mark' of what to look for if someone were to say they were a prophet?

Here are some definitions that I found to say what a prophet is ...

# an authoritative person who divines the future

# someone who speaks by divine inspiration; someone who is an interpreter of the will of God

# In religion, a prophet is a person who has been contacted by, or has encountered, the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other humans. The [b]message [/b]that the prophet conveys is called a prophecy.

Sooo, to me these definitions cooraborate what I know of the 'prophets' that are spoken about in the Scriptures ... have they not all claimed to have divine knowledge given them in some form or another ... be it a dream, visions, visitiation or whatever ...

And how those who would listen to the prophet would KNOW that he WAS from God would be if what he spoke about CAME TRUE ...

Now as to PROPHESY ...

A couple of definitions of this are ...

# prophecy -knowledge of the future (usually said to be obtained from a divine source)
# prophecy - a prediction uttered under divine inspiration

Now, in light of these 'specific' type of definition I was wondering if as of yet in OUR DAY ... have we seen a MODERN PROPHET that speaks about future events ...?

And ...

Is some 'really' a PROPHET in the strictest biblical sense if he is just quoting or reasoning from scripture from what other prophets wrote down ...?

Wouldn't they rather just be a type of messenger or teller of what is written ...?

A curious george ... ME :love:
Anyway, just wanted to add some more thoughts ...

04-05-2011 07:47 PM
Seraphim

LOL well speaking as one of them modern day prophets of future events I can tell you that anyone is a prophet if they simply preach Christ.

04-05-2011 08:49 PM
ablebodiedman

BR,

This is what I would expect a Christian Prophet to be doing:

John 16:7-15
For if I do not go away, the helper will by no means come to YOU; but if I do go my way, I will send him to YOU. 8 And when that one arrives he will give the world convincing evidence concerning sin and concerning righteousness and concerning judgment: 9 in the first place, concerning sin, because they are not exercising faith in me; 10 then concerning righteousness, because I am going to the Father and YOU will behold me no longer; 11 then concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
12 “I have many things yet to say to YOU, but YOU are not able to bear them at present. 13 However, when that one arrives, the spirit of the truth, he will guide YOU into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own impulse, but what things he hears he will speak, and he will declare to YOU the things coming. 14 That one will glorify me, because he will receive from what is mine and will declare it to YOU. 15 All the things that the Father has are mine. That is why I said he receives from what is mine and declares [it] to YOU.

he will give the world convincing evidence concerning sin
he will give the world convincing evidence concerning righteousness
he will give the world convincing evidence concerning judgment
he will guide YOU into all the truth
he will declare to YOU the things coming
he will glorify Jesus Christ

I expect also that Christians will have great difficulty bearing those things:

but YOU are not able to bear them at present

The scripture suggests that Jesus Christ had not told his Apostles everything.

I have many things yet to say to YOU

I do believe that Jesus Christ alluded to those things especially during those times when he finished a saying with; "let him who has ears listen".

The Book of Revelation in my opinion is also essential to understanding the things that Jesus Christ had not plainly revealed to his Apostles.

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
04-06-2011 10:58 AM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Okay ... here is where my thoughts are going as regards as to whether or not there are TRUE prophets TODAY ...

or maybe added the word YET might be good at least for me anyway ... :blush:

I couldn't help but reflect yesterday and last night as to 'what' our 'role' is right now in the 'spreading of the good news and speaking about Christ' ...

Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20 are very familiar scriptures to us but just for reference sake I thought I might put them up ...:read:

Matt. 24:14 ...

(BBE) And this good news of the kingdom will be given through all the world for a witness to all nations; and then the end will come.

(CEV) When the good news about the kingdom has been preached all over the world and told to all nations, the end will come.

(ESV) And this gospel of the kingdom will be [b]proclaimed [/b]throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

(GW) "This Good News about the kingdom will be spread throughout the world as a testimony to all nations. Then the end will come.

The Greek word for 'preached' is ...

G2784 κηρύσσω

kērussō kay-roos'-so

Of uncertain affinity; to herald (as a public crier), especially divine truth (the gospel): - preach (-er), proclaim, publish.

In the footnote in the cd rom it says ...

Or, “be heralded.” Gr., ke‧ry‧khthe′se‧tai; Lat., prae‧di‧ca′bi‧tur. Compare Da 5:29 ftn, “Heralded.”

[b]Dan 5:29 ...[/b]

(ASV) Then commanded Belshazzar, and they clothed Daniel with purple, and put a chain of gold about his neck, and [u]made proclamation [/u]concerning him, that he should be the third ruler in the kingdom.

(BBE) Then, by the order of Belshazzar, they put a purple robe on Daniel, and a gold chain round his neck, and [u][b]a public statement[/b][/u] was made that he was to be a ruler of high authority in the kingdom.

So in these verse we see Belshazzar doing the same service or making a public declaration or proclaiming something to the people as regards to Daniel and his new position.

Did this make 'proclaiming' make him a 'prophet' ... or just a 'heralder of a message?

Now we also have Matt. 28:19,20 ...

19 Go then, and make disciples of all the nations, giving them baptism in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:
20 Teaching them to keep all the rules which I have given you: and see, I am ever with you, even to the end of the world.

So, wouldn't it be more correct and scripturally accurate to say then that we are 'teachers/pupils' ... that we are more like 'evangelizers' ...?

The meaning of an 'evangelizer' seems to me to fit so well with what our Lord asked us to do ...

zealous preaching and advocacy of the gospel

1. Convert or seek to convert (someone) to Christianity.
2. Preach the Christian gospel.

Evangelism refers to the practice of relaying information about a particular set of beliefs to others who do not hold those beliefs. The term is often used in reference to Christianity.

To me this fits the 'command to preach' ... not 'prophesy' ...

What do ya'll think ...?

I have some more thoughts but thought I'd stop there for now ... :love::giverose::giverose:

Luv to all BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

04-06-2011 11:21 AM
Seraphim

This is why testing the spirits is so vital because many proclaim to be prophets and do what John 16:7-15 describes. People often twist Christ into their own image. So what Jesus says in John 16:7-15 should not serve as a shopping list for being able to spot the true ones from the fake ones. To do that requires love, understanding, logic and patience. We are not freed from the necessity to do the hard and difficult work required to spot true and fake anything.

04-06-2011 11:21 AM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Hi br. abe ...:hibye:

We must have been posting at the same time ... :hug::post:

Hopefully my comment above will help to answer some of your points?

Luv me :sheepy:

04-06-2011 11:24 AM
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites