Latest News: The Great Trubulation

What is a family?
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Group: Moderator
What is a family?

Hi all ...:hibye::grouphug:

I read a scripture the other day and have been thinking about it ever since and what the possibilities may mean ...:read: :thinking:

I would love to have some of your lovely input but before I tell you the scripture I thought perhaps defining what 'family' is may be good so as to have a starting point without any preconceived ideas to mar our ... 'my' ... thinking ...

Anyway, I will wait to see if anyone wants to add their thoughts ... :love:

Luv as always BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

http://bruisedreednotbroke.blogspot.com
05-02-2011 03:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Measurer

Group: Registered Plus
RE: What is a family?

Hi Sis BR, :hibye:

I hope you are well. :thumbup:

For most of my life I considered ‘family’ to be my father, mother, sister, aunts, uncles and cousins. A fleshly family that was pretty important to me; my identity, if you like.

In 1990 I began to study with the JWs and soon found myself referring to others in the congregation as ‘brother’ and ‘sister’ so-and-so. In conversations with other Witnesses these terms were used without even thinking about it but, as I reflect, they never really registered with me as meaning ‘my brother’ or ‘my sister’ in a family sense. The expressions were used more as titles rather than with warmth and love. (That, however, may have been my problem because, in hindsight, I don’t think I ever truly felt part of the Organization!:confused:)

I left the Organization about five years ago and although I still saw my fleshly relations as my family, I had distanced myself from them during the JW years and it feels like there are still a few repairs to be made.

After departing from the Org, as with so many others here, I continued in bible reading, study and prayer on my own, depending totally on direction and guidance from the Spirit. I can look back and see that there was a very definite path and progression in the literature I was reading, the interpretations I was considering and my understanding of the importance, or not, of various doctrines. All the time I was being drawn closer and closer to Jesus Christ.

Without going into detail, at the start of this year there was a major change in my ‘spiritual’ life and it felt like a light had been switched on. Without a shred of doubt, I now see my ‘family’ as being all my brothers and sisters ‘in Christ’ whoever and wherever they might be on earth. (And there are many, many more brothers and sisters who came before and now sleep, awaiting Jesus’ return.) I have come to believe that all these individuals are the ‘invisible church’, Christ’s flock, Christ’s body. They have been drawn to Christ by our Father and put faith in Jesus, trust him and believe in him.

I now feel uncomfortable calling Almighty God anything other than ‘Father’ in prayer or ‘my Father’ in conversation. I would use the name ‘Jehovah’ in an intellectual rather than personal way. (The Society seemed to stress that by using the name ‘Jehovah’ we would feel a closeness to Him but, when I say ‘Father’, I feel that I’m almost in His presence.) I see Jesus Christ as my Head, my Shepherd, my Saviour and a very much senior brother. (At least I think he will see me as a very much younger and junior brother!:blush:)

Only my Father knows for sure who my brothers and sisters are but I should be able to recognise them by their desire to be like Christ and their developing the fruits of the Spirit. (Some quickly, some a bit slower.:thinking::whistle:) They might be attached to any of the churches or they might not. I’m leading a fairly isolated life at the moment so I’m not getting many opportunities to meet and associate with my brothers and sisters but I pray about this and I know it’ll happen when the time is right. I truly believe however, that many here at the Café are my brothers and sisters and that we’ll all meet up in the future. (I always ask my Father in prayer if He might draw my fleshly family to His Son so that they too are part of my spiritual family.)

So, Sister BR, in answer to your question, my ‘family’ are my brothers and sisters in Christ wherever (and whenever) they may be.

Your brother,
Measurer. :hibye:

05-02-2011 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user
gogh
Participator

Greetings BR

Re: "...wait to see if anyone wants to add their thoughts"

What if my thoughts mirror Measurers?...I know, I'll post a scripture or two, OK?...

Hopefully a couple of scriptures that are perhaps relevant to this discussion...(and do not interfere with what you have planned, BR...grin)

Mark 3:34...

"And looking round on them that sat round about him, he saith, Behold, my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."

Proverbs 27:10...

"Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; And go not to thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: Better is a neighbor that is near than a brother far off."

Christian love and appreciation

gogh

"......."This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Keep listening to him!" Luke 9:35
05-02-2011 06:25 PM
Willa
Peace, baby!

Family is.... people who love you and who you love. :love:

Measurer's post is most excellent! I too consider everyone who loves God and Christ as my brethren, unreservedly! I don't pick and choose - They do!

Wonder if you were thinking of the Mark 3 scrip. that gogh posted - it's what popped to mind when I read your query. Love you SISTER!

:)

:heartbeat: You are my friends! I don't think it just by chance, but by God's Grand Design, that He has guided both our steps... to let your paths cross mine. :heartbeat:
05-02-2011 06:50 PM
digging

Thank you measurer for writing that it is very comforting to see others see things so clearly. Gogh that one vs you posted with Jesus saying 'who is my mother brother, sister' that vs was a major help for me once I began to allow myself to hear and listen to him...

Jesus was telling me I too could be his sister......

Digging

05-03-2011 02:56 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Hi all, sorry I took so long in checking in ... busy busy busy don't ya know! ;):siskiss:

Anyway I loved the comments and scriptures as well ... and I agree totally with you measurer that our 'familiy' is indeed ALL those in Christ or those who will soon be ...

My 'plan' dear br. gogh is a wee bit different ... but also ties in as well ...

Perhaps I might ask another question if that's ok ...?

If I were to say ...

'All the families on the earth' ... or 'every family on the earth' ... who would you think I was speaking about specifically ...?

I hope I have asked the question correctly ... and I really do have a reason for it I assure you ... :funnyface::P

I am just trying to get the 'real' meaning and not any preconceived idea of men ... hard to do sometimes I know ...

Hopefully be checking in sooner rather than later ... :blush:

05-03-2011 03:13 PM
RR144
Bible Student

I have had friends who were more family to me than my own flesh and blood. Jesus said it best "whoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matt 12:50

RR

We are called to be witnesses, not lawyers or judges.

05-04-2011 03:20 PM
Derek

Group: Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRSvNbMwQtQ

Don't lets be put off balance and read too much into Jesus words.

Blood matters and friends matter.

At the foot of the cross were both friends and family. The women who never forsook Jesus when brave men fled.

Those who we support and support us are family in the community sense, perhaps even in the spiritual sense.

Perhaps it is British reserve, but I reckon 'brother' can be banded about very promiscuously at times only to be withdrawn when the going gets tough.

We go in faith, our own great weakness feeling,
And needing more each day Thy grace to know:
Yet from our hearts a song of triumph pealing,
“We rest on Thee, and in Thy Name we go.”
05-04-2011 04:56 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Thanks again ...

It is always amazing to me how many times we may read a scripture ... or perhaps never really read it it our hurrying to get our 'bible reading' done or just accepted a belief or teaching we were taught ...

Anyway, I was reading some bible information and stumbled upon a scripture that I know doubt have read before but in light of a bunch of research I have been doing began to look at it differently ... with 'new' eyes so to speak ... but I was wanting some feedback to 'see' if my 'eyes' and 'heart' were 'seeing correctly ...

Spiritual things have opened up so much in the last few years ... both heavenly and earthly that it is so incredibly wonderful isn't it!!

This particular thought process will be quite 'alien' especially for witnesses that I wasn't quite sure if I shouldn't put it in the controversy section ...:shocked::confused:;)

Anyway, the scripture I had in mind was the one in Eph. 3:15 ...

15 to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes its name,

Now in light of the questions I already asked ... does anyone have any comments ... I am trying so hard not to put my thoughts ahead of anyone else's or influence thoughts ...

Luv again ... BR :happyheart:

I know the 'watchtower's' view ... I looked it up and wasn't surprised ... but I was wondering what others may be thinking on this verse ...?

05-04-2011 07:51 PM
gogh
Participator

...off the top of my head :dontknow:...

Ephesins 3:15 ...

"...to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes its name,"

(KJV+) "Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,"

Are there many families in heaven? Are there many families on earth?

Is there a whole (one) family in heaven? Is there a whole (one) family on earth?

Are there many families in heaven and many families on earth that make up a complete(d) "whole family in heaven and earth"?

Or...does a (singular) family in heaven combined with a (singular) family on earth make up a whole family?

1Corinthians 15:24...

"Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has done away with every ruler and every authority and power.
For he must rule until God puts all his enemies under his feet.
The last enemy to be done away with is death,
for "God has put everything under his feet." Now when he says, "Everything has been put under him," this clearly excludes the one who put everything under him.
But when everything has been put under him, then the Son himself will also become subject to the one who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all."

Christian love and appreciation,

gogh

"......."This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Keep listening to him!" Luke 9:35
05-05-2011 01:11 AM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Hi dear br. gogh ... :friends:

You got what I have been wandering around in my thoughts ...

The part about whether EVERY FAMILY includes individual families or just a general 'whole' ...

To me it seem to make more sense to be individualized families that would by extension also include the 'whole human and heavenly' family as a 'group' as it were ...

For example ... hopefully an appropriate and fitting illustration or analogy ...

Take a pie, pizza cake or whatever ...

When you CUT them up into separate PIECES they become individualized separate pieces on their own ... but they are still a part of the WHOLE and thus still a piece of pie, cake or pizza or whatever ...

Take also for example the scripture at Phil. 3:10 ...

(ASV) that in the name of Jesus EVERY knee should bow, of things in heaven and things on earth and things under the earth,

The SAME Greek word is used in both Philippians as in Ephesians ...

G3956 πᾶς

pas pas

Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole: - all (manner of, means) alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, [b]every (one[b], way), as many as, + no (-thing), X throughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.

Now when I read the scripture in Philippians I tend to think that the EVERY KNEE bending to Christ would be EACH INDIVIDUAL whether they be in heaven a spirit or on earth as a human ... thus encompassing ALL those in heaven or on earth ...

So, to follow through on this thinking in the scripture in Ephesians it would 'seem' to make sense that the EVERY 'FAMILY' would also be an INDIVIDUAL FAMILY arrangement ... whether that familiy would be in heaven or on earth ... and by extension also include the 'whole' ...

What do you think ... and if so what could this then mean ...? To me it is a rather exciting look into heavenly things and not thinking of the spirit realm as just a group of differing levels of spirit beings ... but TRULY a LOVING FAMILY just as we have here on earth ...!!

I'll stop there for now ...

05-05-2011 01:29 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites