Latest News: The Great Trubulation

How old was Jesus when he died?
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Group: Moderator
How old was Jesus when he died?

Good day all ... :hibye::heartbeat::grouphug:

Out of curiosity ... a simple question ... or not ...???? ;)

How old was Jesus when he died ...?

Luv BR :sheepy::bouncyhearts:

http://bruisedreednotbroke.blogspot.com
05-10-2011 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ablebodiedman

Group: Registered Plus
RE: How old was Jesus when he died?

trick question?

Ok, I'll step on the rug:

Older than anyone else who ever died.

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
05-10-2011 01:49 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Hi ablebodiedman my brother! :D

I guess sort of and yet not ...

I had run across this thought before and did some research and put it on the back burner and then ran across it today in looking up something else ... so I thought I'd put it out there for us all to get everyone else's ideas on the validity of what I found ...

And since what I found seems to make sense ... I wanted to check it out with others who may know more than me when it comes to historical things ...

In the multitude of counsellors there is much wisdom don't ya know ... and holy spirit as well ... :grouphug::heartbeat:

So, if you were to put a 'number' on it ... what would you say my brother?

Luv BR :sheepette:

05-10-2011 01:55 PM
ablebodiedman

br,

I personally think this scripture is Jesus Christ speaking in the first person, so with that in mind I have no idea what kind of number to put on it.

Proverbs 8:22-27
“Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago. 23 From time indefinite I was installed, from the start, from times earlier than the earth. 24 When there were no watery deeps I was brought forth as with labor pains, when there were no springs heavily charged with water. 25 Before the mountains themselves had been settled down, ahead of the hills, I was brought forth as with labor pains, 26 when as yet he had not made the earth and the open spaces and the first part of the dust masses of the productive land. 27 When he prepared the heavens I was there; when he decreed a circle upon the face of the watery deep,

I'm guessing that its a really big number.

What number do you put on it?

In Christ

abve

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
05-10-2011 03:17 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Hi again my brother ... :hibye:

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into my question ...

If I may add another scriptural thought and then some historical info and then you could tell me what you think ... or anyone for that matter of course ... not just picking on you my dear brother ... :P;)

We have Lukes interesting words at Luke 3:23 ...

23 Furthermore, Jesus himself, when he commenced [his work], was about thirty years old, being the son, as the opinion was,
of Joseph,
[son] of He′li,

Now when we look at the reference scripture that shows that those who had such important teaching work to do we find some interesting numbers to the age ...

Numbers 4:3 ...

from thirty years old upward to fifty years old, all those going into the service group to do the work in the tent of meeting.

It would seem then because of the wording of Luke ABOUT 30 years of age that this specific number or age of '30' ... MAY ... not be an exact age and it would seem that history MAY ... also agree with that according to Josephus anyway ...

It would seem that we might have to look into the death of John the Baptist to find out the age of the death of Jesus perhaps ...

Here is some interesting info I found ... I will just put up some highlights but will provide the link so anyone can read it in full ...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_old_was_Jo...en_he_died

Secondly, it must also be understood that the majority scholarly view is that Herod Antipas married Herodias around 28 AD.

Thirdly, the statements made by Josephus actually do not disagree with what the Bible states but actually support it. On example is that John the Baptist is regarded by both the Bible and Josephus as having been executed wrongfully by Herod.

In the light of these known facts, together with the Gospel record, it would seem likely that John was indeed around 36 or possibly even 39 years of age when he was executed in the year 32 AD, since we also know John was born before Jesus, who was born before 4 BC possibly down to 6 BC.

Summary: John was likely around 36 to 38 (a more likely age) when he was executed.

So, since Jesus was at least 6 months YOUNGER than John the Baptist ... and IF the dates above are correct ... then wouldn't that make Jesus around 36 or 38 when died ...?

And in light of the scripture in Numbers this would fit prophetically as well as to the age requirement ...

What do you think? Does this make sense or have biblical and historic vallidity?

luv BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

05-10-2011 03:35 PM
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Hi BR

As you may know, the church father Iranaeus seems to attribute an older age to Jesus. I came across this interesting discussion about Iranaeus' comments. It seems people don't agree on his meaning:
http://theologica.ning.com/forum/topics/...-apostolic

It seems Iranaeus believed Jesus was over 40 years but under 50 years of age at his death.

"But, besides this, those very Jews who then disputed with the Lord Jesus Christ have most clearly indicated the same thing. For when the Lord said to them, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day; and he saw it, and was glad,” they answered Him, “Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?” Now, such language is fittingly applied to one who has already passed the age of forty, without having as yet reached his fiftieth year, yet is not far from this latter period."
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.iii.xxiii.html

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
05-11-2011 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites