Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Life Support vs Assisted Suicide
BeginAgain
Not So New

Group: Registered Plus
Life Support vs Assisted Suicide

I recently found myself in an emotional conversation with a family member, they voiced the opinion that assisted suicide is murder and totally wrong, but pulling the plug on a patient's life support equipment is perfectly fine. It doesn't make any sense to me, what's the difference?

This is not a question of suicide, that's another chapter for another day. Suffice to say, people who commit suicide or attempt to kill themselves are crying for help, no doubt about that. But for those ones terminally ill, suffering and doomed to die a horrible death . . . is there any merit for them to endure this kind of ordeal? Can they assume 'righteousness' in their lives similar to Job?

I can't help but imagine that people who end up on life support may still want to go on living, albeit, at a drastically reduced quality of life. Maybe they don't even consciously know they are still alive. but when the doctor stops giving them oxygen, the body fights to keep getting it. When the feeding tube is removed, the body feeds itself by consuming itself.

Not looking for a black and white, right or wrong comment here, but a different perspective would be great. Thanks guys!

Love 2 All

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." Eleanor Roosevelt
05-13-2011 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user
Beau Wetini
Me and my boy at the beach!

RE: Life Support vs Assisted Suicide

Euthanasia is good.

LIVE THE KINGDOM NOW!!

05-14-2011 05:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BeginAgain
Not So New

RE: Life Support vs Assisted Suicide

Thank you Beau. It seems like the loving thing to do in my mind as well. Unfortunately, no one in my family is in agreement and I can't seem to wrap my pea-sized brain around the suffering thing. How can I help them understand that our Heavenly Father doesn't need or ask us to suffer in order to fall asleep in death? Unless, of course, it's in a contest of faith ... then suffering as a martyr for your belief in God makes complete sense.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." Eleanor Roosevelt
05-14-2011 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites