Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Are leading questions the correct way to teach?
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Group: Moderator
Are leading questions the correct way to teach?

Good afternoon all ...

Had a thought today and so I thought I would put it up here for some feedback ...

Are leading acceptable in how we should teach someone as we as witnesses have been taught to do in our ministry school.

In the past I would have answered ...

Yes

But now I am not so sure ...

Take a look at what a leading question is defined as as I looked it up today, and since I have been having a wee bit of experience in the legal system helping a friend out I guess it just came to mind ...

A leading question is a question which subtly prompts the respondent to answer in a particular way. Leading questions are generally undesirable as they result in false or slanted information.

An example of a leading question and the kind of response it could get is ...

Do you get on well with your boss?

This question prompts the person to question their employment relationship. In a very subtle way it raises the prospect that maybe they don't get on with their boss.

Here is another definition of a 'leading question' ...

One way of influencing a person is to ask them questions that are deliberately designed to make them think in a certain way. Leading questions either include the answer, point the listener in the right direction or include some form or carrot or stick to send them to the 'right' answer.

Note that not only words can lead the question. You can also lead people by your body Language and voice tone effects, such as with subtle emphasis.

Leading questions are often directional in that, whilst they do not indicate an answer, they close off undesirable alternatives and guide the person in a desired direction.

Sometimes leading questions are desirable. At other times, they are very undesirable. It is important at all times to recognize them and only use them when there is a deliberate purpose for doing so.

Now, when it comes to a 'court of law' a lawyer is NOT ALLOWED to use 'leading questions' ... as it is too 'suggestible' to the person being questioned ... whether the intent is 'good' or 'not so good' ...

So, I got to thinking are the 'leading questions' that all of us have no doubt in all innocence used over the years been a good thing to do ... to allow the listener an unbiased and completely non-influenced ability to reason ON THEIR OWN ...

In the past once again I would have answered an unequivocal ...

Yes

We are 'guiding them to the TRUTH' after all ... and we want them to see it as 'quickly' as possible to get them out of the wicked system of things ...

Now I think I would have to say ...

No

Now a witness today would say that the society's definition of 'leading questions' couldn't be like the above ... which in a way gives you a 'choice' but in actuality it is a MANEUVERED kind of 'choice' ... a MANIPULATION OF WORDS that puts a thought in their that YOU want and not necessarily what the person would answer without being GUIDED to it by the used of 'leading questions' ...

So, what does the society say about HOW to use 'leading questions' and WHY ...

I found this very informative with my 'new eyes' ...

sg study 10 pp. 51-52 Developing the Art of Teaching

10 You will also find leading questions to be helpful in teaching. These are questions that aid you to direct the mind of the person, on the basis of what he already knows, to a conclusion that perhaps he has never thought about. (Matt. 17:25, 26; 22:41-46) In effect you say to yourself: ‘I know this student has knowledge of this and that, so if I ask some questions in a logical sequence, he can arrive at the right conclusion. But if I skip the leading questions and outrightly ask him the main question, he may jump to the wrong conclusion.’ In other words, the student has information with which he can arrive at the answer. But he needs help. The easy way, of course, is to tell him the answer. But if you use leading questions, you not only [b]make the answer more acceptable because the student states it himself, but also help him to develop thinking ability. [/b]Your questions will lead his mind along the steps of logical thought to the right conclusion. This will be of immeasurable value to him later.

Oh how GOOD this sounded in the past when I thought that I only taught TRUTH ... and that the FDS KNEW what was right and would KNOWINGLY ONLY TEACH WHAT WAS RIGHT ... (having come to find out they KNEW they were WRONG about 1914 for example and yet STILL TAUGHT IT AS TRUTH) makes this kind of 'teaching' to me now not only UNACCEPTABLE ... but a horrific type of 'mind control' and 'manipulation' that CANNOT have God's blessing on it ... and yet is still being done unknowingly BY and TO millions of our brothers and sisters.

Jehovah and Christ are JUDGES ... and I would think that if an imperfect human court thinks it wrong to 'lead' a person so that they cannot think for themselves ... THEIR court would do no less would it?

Or is my thinking on this skewed?

Any thoughts?

Luv as always BR :sheepy::bouncyhearts:

http://bruisedreednotbroke.blogspot.com
06-17-2011 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Willa
Peace, baby!

RE: Are leading questions the correct way to teach?

You, 'skewed'? Never!

Well, I'd say sometimes, handled right, it's a good tool. We do it with children to get them to think along the right lines, for example, asking the right questions in just the right way to get the responses we want, to lead them in the right direction. Sometimes kids balk when they think you're pushing them to a conclusion - but a leading question can guide them, making them think, and they'll feel they came to the conclusion on their own, lol.

God did it with Job(ch.38) to bring about the response He wanted - humility.

Depends on the teaching one is trying to lead a person to... so that's my response - it depends!

You're such a deep thinker, sis. Your posts always make me think deeper too, and that's good thing!

:))

:heartbeat: You are my friends! I don't think it just by chance, but by God's Grand Design, that He has guided both our steps... to let your paths cross mine. :heartbeat:
06-17-2011 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

Group: Registered Plus

to me, leading questions are usually associated with an investigation of some sort. ... so far, so good, right?

a detective might employ leading questions in his attempt to extract a confession from a criminal suspect. he may even use leading questions to "break him down" emotionally and psychologically. ("law and order," anyone?) so, i think leading questions are inextricably bound up with "persuasion." often, strong-armed persuasion; "leading" a person where he or she does not really want to go.

we know how watchtower religion uses leading questions ... frequently to nefarious ends. and they instruct their 'flock' to do the same.

i do think there is a "kinder, gentler" form of question which might be a "good cousin" to the leading question. and that would be "viewpoint questions."

how does learning that about christ make you feel toward him? ...

does the wonder and beauty of 'nature' help you reach any conclusions about our grand creator? ...

learning that god's love for us is unconditional, how does that make you feel toward him? ...

it's the psychologist's/psychiatrist's stock-in-trade. "how does that make you feel?"

in other words, we don't want to just impart facts. we can use viewpoint questions to more capably reach hearts and call the attention of our listener/student to the reality of what is actually taking place within them.

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
06-17-2011 09:09 PM
ablebodiedman

BR,

I like to post a scripture then ask a leading question.

Luke 21:7-8
” 8 He said: “Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.

Should Jehovah's Witnesses follow the Governing Body?

Underlining key point helps to lead to the correct answer too.

Quoting other published material can help lead to the answer as well:

w59 5/1 p. 269 Attain Completeness in the New World Society7 To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organization says is to do what he says.

Is the Governing Body "coming on the basis" of Jesus Christs name?

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
06-18-2011 12:09 AM
ablebodiedman

how about this:

w55 7/1 p. 411 Christian Baptism for the New World Society

15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit.

Should Jehovah's Witnesses be baptised in the name of; "God's Spirit Directed Organization"?

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
06-18-2011 12:16 AM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Good morning ...

Hey sis ... thanks for the nice words ... :love:

Dear br. iso ... THAT is so much what I was thinking ... that VIEWPOINT QUESTIONS would be more in line with trying to cause the person, be it adult or child, to THINK AND REASON FOR THEMSELVES ... going INWARD into their hearts to REASON out whatever topic was being discussed ...

And yes br. abe ... appropriate quotes showing how the society makes statements to set the person up to view something as 'fact'/'true/'logical or whatever and then asks a LEADING question to cause that very idea to be implanted or 'anchored' even MORE in their mind since they will HAVE to answer the 'correct' way in order for them to look they they are giving the RIGHT answer since they would want to look that they were understanding what was purported to be 'fact/true/logical' ...

We are cautioned in God's own word to take great care in HOW we study and then present it to other as it says in 2Ti 2:15 ...

(ASV) Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth.

BBE) Let it be your care to get the approval of God, as a workman who has no cause for shame, giving the true word in the right way.

(CEV) Do your best to win God's approval as a worker who doesn't need to be ashamed and who teaches only the true message.

(DRB) Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

So, if we are going to speak to others about the good news of Christ and Kingdom we have a SERIOUS RESPONSIBILITY to try to do so in as HONEST and TRUTHFUL as we know how ... not seeking to 'trick' or 'lead' others through 'deceptive-like' tactics ... but to let God's word speak for itself and let God's spirit work to 'reveal and open hearts' to hear the message and let the spirit motivate them to do with that message what that person needs best ...

We need to be careful that the message we speak is not OUR message ... but the message in God's word as best we know it now ...

Anyway, enough rambling ... thanks so so much for the food for thought you have given me so far ...

Deep and sincere love as always ... BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

06-18-2011 11:43 AM
wolfie

we could examine the technique of my 5 year old grandson--he believes in going right in and getting it over. He has a kind of killer instinct. I was at the park with him one afternoon last week and he was running around playing. I started talking to an older woman that was sitting on a bench and we were just chatting about this and that and my little joey ran over and was looking at her when he leaned over to her and looked intently into her face and said so sweetly--''why do you dye your hair white?'' ..we were both kind of speechlesss and I was shocked--until the laughter from Both of us--so I guess there's lots of ways to ask a question--some better than others perhaps...

(couldn't resist) :D

''In the midst of winter I finally learned that in me there was an invincible summer.'' Albert Camus

''live simply, speak kindly, love unconditionally''
06-18-2011 12:00 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

hmmm I would think that wasn't an example of a leading or viewpoint question dear woofette ...:thinking:

But rather a DIRECT question wouldn't you ...? :D:D;):P:whistle:

Ah but how many times does the scripture come to mind in cases like this ...

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES!! :baby:

Luv ya BR :heartbeat::happyheart:

06-18-2011 12:10 PM
wolfie

direct is exactly right--when a 5 year old tells you something there is almost always a truth to it...sometimes to our rue.... :love:

to me the biggest problem with a leading question is that a person of intuition can pick up instantly on what you are --really--asking with very little leading and tell you what you want to hear, if they are so inclined.

''In the midst of winter I finally learned that in me there was an invincible summer.'' Albert Camus

06-18-2011 12:14 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Yes indeed dear woofgirl ... I so hear you ...

We are (were) taught in the publications that we want 'thinking' people ... and yet if a real 'thinker' comes along and sees that maybe the way they are being taught ... either by the teacher or the publications ... that they are 'being led' ... and their gut tells them this and they balk at being 'manipulated' ... calling a spade a spade as it were ... then they (we) are counselled for being an independent thinker, faultfinding, being unduly suspicious and the like ...

Ya just can't win when you are being sought to controlled by others ... only if you play THEIR way ... if not ... you are out of the game ...

Well, I like 'solitaire' anyway ... spider solitaire is a favorite ...:P;):siskiss:

Luv me ... :bouncyhearts:

06-18-2011 12:22 PM
wolfie

unfortunately, the young kids in the congregtion learn this technique well and one of the major problems and places it shows up in my opinion is in the Baptismal questions...as was said to me so many times by different kids they ''go along to get along'' and get baptized not realizing what they are actually doing--it can become a game --or survival--depending on how you look at it...the danger and sadness is you lose touch with how your kids are really feeling and they are leading a secret life and then one day they are gone--it has happened here over and over again and the end results are very sad...

06-18-2011 12:30 PM
ablebodiedman

BR,

Sometimes I see people asking leading questions not to understand the answer or even to instruct someone.

Sometimes the leading question seems designed simply to get consensus.

A question designed to get votes for and perhaps also comfort for the person asking the question.

These questions seem to be set up as an; "I'll be your friend if you agree with me" motive.

In Christ

abe

The Unforgivable Sin
06-18-2011 12:35 PM
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Dear br. abe ...

You said ...

These questions seem to be set up as an; "I'll be your friend if you agree with me" motive.

I would have to agree with your sentiment here ...

For example ...

We can continue to 'be a witness' ... ONLY IF ... you agree to ALL that we we are taught by the FDS ...

If we don't ...

We're OUT

Or ... at the very least we are NOT ALLOWED TO VOICE OUT LOUD anything we may disagree with or we will be accuse of causing divisions, and to so would get us no longer to be their 'friend' ...

I too have found in looking at how things were worded in publications that it isn't about 'instructing' ... but rather for 'telling' ...

Tell us WHAT to believe ... and no other belief is possible ...

Sort of like the expression ...

Our way or the highway ...:(

Well the highway I am walking on is filled with really loving and insightful, yourself included of course, ;);):P and one that I am proud to walk on side by side, or even a wee bit behind ... :whistle::whistle:

Luv BR :happyheart:

06-18-2011 01:00 PM
Measurer

ablebodiedman Wrote:

Hi abe,

An example:

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden?
Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat:
Gen 3:3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.

Hook, line and sinker! :(

Measurer.

06-19-2011 10:40 AM
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

Measurer Wrote:

ablebodiedman Wrote:

Hi abe,

An example:

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden?
Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat:
Gen 3:3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.

Hook, line and sinker! :(

Measurer.

hi, measurer! it's always great to hear from you.

that is the exact same leading question that first came to my mind. it may be worth noting that -- in posing a leading question -- the serpent misrepresented facts and slandered another (god, in this case).

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
06-19-2011 01:13 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites