Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Are leading questions the correct way to teach?
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Are leading questions the correct way to teach?

Leading questions are always loaded with presuppositions.

"How fast were you going?"

This presupposes you were (a) going somewhere, (b) doing it at some point in the past, and © implies there was an element of speed involved, some kind of "fastness".

Contrast this with...

"How slow were you going?"

Which question would be better to use, when you want to imply a person was speeding? :)

"does the wonder and beauty of 'nature' help you reach any conclusions about our grand creator? ..."

This one presupposes the hearer believes that nature IS full of "wonder and beauty" (instead of, say, a cruel "survival of the fittest" jungle), and that a "grand creator" is involved.

Richard Dawkins might have problems with these presuppositions!

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
06-20-2011 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user
isomam
In Spite of Many and Much

my comments are in blue.

Interpretum Wrote:
"does the wonder and beauty of 'nature' help you reach any conclusions about our grand creator? ..."

This one presupposes the hearer believes that nature IS full of "wonder and beauty" (instead of, say, a cruel "survival of the fittest" jungle), and that a "grand creator" is involved.

since this is a quote from me (post #3), i will take the liberty of responding. of course this question presupposes that the reader also believes that nature IS full of "wonder and beauty" ... because i would have ascertained that necessary precondition before asking any such question. (duh.)

Richard Dawkins might have problems with these presuppositions!

i really couldn't care less what richard dawkins thinks of my questions!

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am foremost.--1 Timothy 1:15.

Above all things, have INTENSE Love for one another.--1 Peter 4:8.

Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts. ... Hold a good conscience.--1 Peter 3:15, 16.

TRUTH IS SIMPLE.
06-20-2011 11:50 PM
Beau Wetini
Me and my boy at the beach!

Double Binds are good too.

If a person doesn't want to do housework, for example...

"Would you like to do the dishes or the vacuuming?"

It forces the person to make one choice or another, but leaves out the possibility of not doing anything.

The Watchtower does it.

LIVE THE KINGDOM NOW!!

06-21-2011 12:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Willa
Peace, baby!

Group: Moderator

Beau Wetini Wrote:
Double Binds are good too.

If a person doesn't want to do housework, for example...

"Would you like to do the dishes or the vacuuming?"

It forces the person to make one choice or another, but leaves out the possibility of not doing anything.

The Watchtower does it.

Wish that worked on my husband.... but he's too smart for it! :siskiss:

It works great with children, and it's preferrable to allowing them the outlandish choices they might make otherwise. Purely a control technique - limit the options and you narrow the possibile outcomes.
But to use this method to teach adults - especially when you're teaching them at the same time that they must learn to discern truth for themselves and grow their own consciences - is dishonest. It causes, eventually, cognitive dissonance... which is what leads most people out of the org. So... I hope they keep it up - they're their own worst enemy!

:heartbeat: You are my friends! I don't think it just by chance, but by God's Grand Design, that He has guided both our steps... to let your paths cross mine. :heartbeat:
06-21-2011 12:49 AM
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites