Latest News: The Great Trubulation

smoldering wick
ratio est radius divini luminus

Group: Moderator

In late February and early March 2003, a large amount of media attention circulated around the globe regarding largely unknown and unpublished documents, evidently written by Isaac Newton, indicating that he believed the world would end no earlier than 2060. The story garnered vast amounts of public interest and found its way onto the front page of several widely distributed newspapers including, Britain's Daily Telegraph, Canada's National Post, Israel's Maariv and Yediot Aharonot, and was also featured in an article in the scientific journal, Nature.[15] Television and Internet stories in the following weeks heightened the exposure and ultimately would include the production of several documentary films focused upon the topic of the 2060 prediction and some of Newton's less well known beliefs and practices.

The two documents detailing this prediction are currently housed within the Jewish National and University Library in Jerusalem. Both were believed to be written toward the end of Newton's life, in or after 1705, a time frame most notably established by the use of the full title of Sir Isaac Newton within portions of the documents.

These documents do not appear to have been written with the intention of publication and Isaac Newton expressed a strong personal dislike for individuals who provided specific dates for the Apocalypse purely for sensational value. Furthermore, Newton at no time provides a specific date for the end of the world in either of these documents.

To understand the reasoning behind the 2060 prediction, an understanding of Newton's theological beliefs should be taken into account, particularly his apparent antitrinitarian beliefs and his religious views on the Papacy. Both of these lay essential to his calculations, which ultimately would provide the 2060 time frame. See Isaac Newton's religious views for more details.
The first document, part of the Yahuda collection,[16] is a small letter slip, on the back of which is written haphazardly in Newton's hand:

“Prop. 1. The 2300 prophetick days did not commence before the rise of the little horn of the He Goat.2 Those day [sic] did not commence a[f]ter the destruction of Jerusalem & ye Temple by the Romans A.[D.] 70.3 The time times & half a time did not commence before the year 800 in wch the Popes supremacy commenced4 They did not commence after the re[ig]ne of Gregory the 7th. 10845 The 1290 days did not commence b[e]fore the year 842.6 They did not commence after the reigne of Pope Greg. 7th. 10847 The diffence [sic] between the 1290 & 1335 days are a parts of the seven weeks.Therefore the 2300 years do not end before ye year 2132 nor after 2370. The time times & half time do n[o]t end before 2060 nor after [2344] The 1290 days do not begin [this should read: end] before 2090 nor after 1374 [sic; Newton probably means 2374]”

The second reference to the 2060 prediction can be found in a folio, in which Newton writes:

“So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, recconing twelve months to a yeare & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived [sic for “long lived”] kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060. It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons wch God hath put into his own breast.

Clearly Newton's mathematical prediction of the end of the world is one derived from his interpretation of not only scripture, but also one based upon his theological viewpoint regarding specific chronological dates and events as he saw them.

Newton may not have been referring to the post 2060 event as a destructive act resulting in the annihilation of the globe and its inhabitants, but rather one in which he believed the world, as he saw it, was to be replaced with a new one based upon a transition to an era of divinely inspired peace. In Christian and Islamic theology this concept is often referred to as The Second Coming of Jesus Christ and the establishment of The Kingdom of God on Earth. In a separate manuscript, Isaac Newton paraphrases Revelation 21 and 22 and relates the post 2060 events by writing:

“A new heaven & new earth. New Jerusalem comes down from heaven prepared as a Bride adorned for her husband. The marriage supper. God dwells with men wipes away all tears from their eyes, gives them of ye fountain of living water & creates all thin things new saying, It is done. The glory & felicity of the New Jerusalem is represented by a building of Gold & Gemms enlightened by the glory of God & ye Lamb & watered by ye river of Paradise on ye banks of wch grows the tree of life. Into this city the kings of the earth do bring their glory & that of the nations & the saints reign for ever & ever.

[my comments] Power does strange things to people. Hitler was actually quite a nice fellow who wanted a social regime to defeat wealthy, abusers of average citizens. As his strength and popularity grew amongst the party faithful, so did his insanity. Power creates a drunken state that cannot be conquered except by God Himself. But God and Christ have allowed it all to happen to demonstrate history as it repeats itself over and over again. Hitler’s insanity became so powerful that his many conspirators were defeated every time they moved in to assassinate him. Let’s not forget that the Nazi 3rd Reich was actually the third attempt to resurrect the failed apocalyptic 1,000 year reign of Christ (the Holy Roman Empire started by Charlemagne in and around 800 CE—which Isaac Newton was limited to know since he wrote this on or about 1705 CE).

Is the GB of the WT not also susceptible of the same drunken power?

sw

"What cannot be understood is no object of belief.” Isaac Newton.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the urge to rule it.” H. L. Mencken
07-08-2011 12:38 AM
Find all posts by this user
Seraphim

Group: Registered
RE: 2060

I think to make the case that power corrupts by asserting that `Hitler was actually quite a nice fellow` to begin with, is over stretching the point. It seem to me more probable that its not power that corrupts in most cases but power, which to the extent a person acquires and has it, becomes an extension of what was inside all along. Hence there are good politicians who don't commit genocide on the basis of racists views. For instance if Hitler had liked the Jews he would probably have won the war. The GB are as bad as they are because such tendencies were there all along. The real question is what are those tendencies and how did they find expression and power? Do we still have them in us?

07-08-2011 09:32 AM
smoldering wick

Seraphim Wrote:
I think to make the case that power corrupts by asserting that `Hitler was actually quite a nice fellow` to begin with, is over stretching the point. It seem to me more probable that its not power that corrupts in most cases but power, which to the extent a person acquires and has it, becomes an extension of what was inside all along. Hence there are good politicians who don't commit genocide on the basis of racists views. For instance if Hitler had liked the Jews he would probably have won the war. The GB are as bad as they are because such tendencies were there all along. The real question is what are those tendencies and how did they find expression and power? Do we still have them in us?

Well my friend, I hadn't gone so far as to say we could read the guy's heart, or whether Hitler was a nice guy through and through. But people do change and they do commit atrocities that they would never have believed they would. Just as life is full of choices and all people can repent at some point (unless you believe in predestination), people who at one time were good (nice, kind, wise) can also go bad.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the urge to rule it.” H. L. Mencken
07-08-2011 12:27 PM
Seraphim

Group: Registered

smoldering wick Wrote:

Seraphim Wrote:

Well my friend, I hadn't gone so far as to say we could read the guy's heart, or whether Hitler was a nice guy through and through. But people do change and they do commit atrocities that they would never have believed they would. Just as life is full of choices and all people can repent at some point (unless you believe in predestination), people who at one time were good (nice, kind, wise) can also go bad.

Indeed, but my point is that much more than choices are at work when it comes to the propensities that people have. Typically propensities are not a result of choices but a complex mixture of environmental and genetic factors. Do we really think that King David was greedy for women because he was King or because he had a pre-existing weakness in his personalty? This is not predestination but the recognition that a massive amount of stuff we all struggle with was not the result of choice on our part, as opposed to it all being a choice. We might be able to veto the impulse if we struggle with such and such temptation, but was it power that placed the weakness there? If Jesus is right that the sin of thinking about the impulse is as bad as the acting out of it then its not power that corrupts. The simple fact that there have been as many, if not more good rulers of different kinds than bad, because bad ones make more noise anyway, means that it is the refutation that power is the key factor that corrupts. If it was so, all rulers and anyone with power of any kind would be corrupt to that extent and there would be a clear correlation between how corrupt and how much power. That is not though the case in the real world.

When Jesus spoke to Pontius Pilate he said his power was given to him by God, not that political power is always bad because it inevitability corrupts a person so repent now.

Hitler never got to the point that he didn't believe what he had done in some kind of shock horror moment of look at what power has done to me, he simply didn't care about the lives of those he killed. On the other hand people who lack self control or those who have not practised the art of self control frequently do experience shock at what they have done. This is because their impulses has taken over their will, not the power they have. Power is the means not the source.

07-08-2011 01:08 PM
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Group: Registered Plus

Don't worry... Newton was completely wrong... because none of Revelation has yet happened... remember?

LOL

Newton was a Historicist. He believed (as do I, to a certain extent) that Revelation was designed to unfold across the centuries. In other words, it wasn't a prophecy JUST for the 1st century (Preterism) or the 21st (Futurism).

Personally, I think his overall viewpoint makes sense. Why would God inspire a prophecy, designed for all Christians ("let him that has an ear, listen..."), and yet really only applicable to ONE CENTURY?

I think Historicism in some form makes the most sense... and yet, surprisingly, it's the LEAST popular interpretation of Revelation today.

I don't know whether I agree with his timescale, but what Newton did was remarkable. He didn't succumb to "Ooh... look at this latest earthquake... must be the time of the end!" stuff that most modern Christians do.. but instead, looked at scripture from a logical, scientific, historical point of view... and deduced that the world wouldn't, in fact end, for another 300+ years from his day!

That is quite remarkable.

And yes... he DID keep on the watch. That's how he was able to deduce what he did. He realized, thanks to Revelation, that there was some way yet to go.

Daniel was the "clock" for the Jews to determine when their Messiah was due, and Revelation is the "clock" for Christians of ALL ages... not just the 1st, or the 21st century.

OK, rant over.... :)

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
07-09-2011 09:45 AM
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

sounds reasonable ITPT!

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
07-09-2011 11:10 AM
smoldering wick

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that God allowed for the invention of time to fool the Greeks and Romans.

07-09-2011 12:49 PM
ThinkingMan
Freeman in the Christ

smoldering wick Wrote:
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that God allowed for the invention of time to fool the Greeks and Romans.

Hi smoldering wick.

When you said God allowed for the invention of time; did you mean the invention of instruments to measure time with? or did you mean the invention of time itself by God?

What happens to "common sense" when it becomes less common?
07-10-2011 03:51 PM
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

smoldering wick Wrote:

Well, He could have fooled me.

Anyway... gotta dash... I'm late for something.

Hang on... are you implying there's NO time?

In which case.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....

<chills out>

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
07-10-2011 05:48 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites