Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Peace and Joy or Peace and Sword at Matt.10:34?
BruisedReed
Sheepette

Group: Moderator
Peace and Joy or Peace and Sword at Matt.10:34?

Good afternoon all ...

I just received a skype message a bit ago and am now in the process of trying to decipher credibility and accuracy regarding the scripture at Matt. 10:34 ...

(ASV) Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

(BBE) Do not have the thought that I have come to send peace on the earth; I came not to send peace but a sword.

(Bishops) Thinke not that I am come to sende peace into the earth. I came not to sende peace, but a sworde.

(CEV) Don't think that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came to bring trouble, not peace.

Now the information I got is out of an old manuscript containing the four gospels called the 'Book of Kells' ...

This appears to have been written in Latin, containing the four Gospels of the New Testament together with various prefatory texts and tables. It was created by Celtic monks ca. 800 or slightly earlier. The text of the Gospels is largely drawn from the Vulgate, although it also includes several passages drawn from the earlier versions of the Bible known as the Vetus Latina.

It seems that according to the text rendering that we MAY not be translating the word 'accurately in Matthew 10:34b ...

Here is what was sent me ...

Matthew 10:34b should read “I came not to send peace, but the sword”. However rather than “gladius” which means “sword”, Kells has “gaudium” meaning “joy”. Rendering the verse: “I came not [only] to send peace, but [also] joy”.[2]

Has anyone else discovered this or know something about it?

Any info would be helpful in my research on this topic ...

Luv as always BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

http://bruisedreednotbroke.blogspot.com
07-16-2011 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ablebodiedman

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Peace and Joy or Peace and Sword at Matt.10:34?

br,

Probably a good idea to compare how they translate Luke 12:49-53.

In Christ

abe

the spiritual man examines all things

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Bible Report
The Unforgivable Sin
07-16-2011 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites