To remind a man what is right for him,
24 Then let him be gracious to him, and say,
‘Deliver him from going down to the pit,
I have found a ransom’;

25 Let his flesh become fresher than in youth,
Let him return to the days of his youthful vigor;
26 Then he will pray to God, and He will accept him,
That he may see His face with joy,
And He may restore His righteousness to man.
27 “He will sing to men and say,
‘I have sinned and perverted what is right,
And it is not proper for me.
28 ‘He has redeemed my soul from going to the pit,
And my life shall see the light.’
29 “Behold, God does all these oftentimes with men,
30 To bring back his soul from the pit,
That he may be enlightened with the light of life.

I can't help but smile at Elihu's words - they sound so familiar! Don't we all just love it when someone tells us to sit down and shut up and they will tell us how God thinks? In this case, Elihu was mistaken, and in the end, corrected. Hey, we've all been there, right?!

31 “Pay attention, O Job, listen to me;
Keep silent, and let me speak.
32 “Then if you have anything to say, answer me;
Speak, for I desire to justify you.
33 “If not, listen to me;
Keep silent, and I will teach you wisdom.”

I enjoyed reading this Bible commentary by Adam Clarke at http://www.godrules.net/library/clarke/clarkejob33.htm - hope you enjoy it too!

Verse 24. "Then he is gracious unto him " - He exercises mercy towards fallen man, and gives command for his respite and pardon. Deliver him from going down to the pit. Let him who is thus instructed, penitent, and afflicted, and comes to me, find a pardon; for: - VI.

"I have found a ransom. " - rpk copher, an atonement. Pay a ransom for him, wh[dp pedaehu], that he may not go down to the pit-to corruption or destruction, for I have found out an atonement. It is this that gives efficacy to all the preceding means; without which they would be useless, and the salvation of man impossible. I must think that the redemption of a lost world, by Jesus Christ, is not obscurely signified in ver. 23, 24. While the whole world lay in the wicked one, and were all hastening to the bottomless pit, God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him might not perish, but have everlasting life. Jesus Christ, the great sacrifice, and head of the Church, commissions his messengers-apostles and their successors-to show men the righteousness of God, and his displeasure at sin, and at the same time his infinite love, which commands them to proclaim deliverance to the captives, and that they who believe on him shall not perish, shall not go down to the pit of destruction, for he has found out an atonement; and that whoever comes to him, through Christ, shall have everlasting life, in virtue of that atonement or ransom price. Should it be objected against my interpretation of Pla aleph, that it cannot be translated chief or head, because it is without the vau shurek, Pwla alluph, which gives it this signification; I would answer, that this form of the word is not essential to the signification given above, as it occurs in several places without the vau shurek, where it most certainly signifies a chief, a leader, captain, &c., e.g., Zechariah ix. 7; Jer. xiii. 21, and Gen. xxxvi. 30; in the first of which we translate it governor; in the second, captain; and in the third, duke. And although we translate Pwla alluph an ox or beeve, (and it most certainly has this meaning in several places,) yet in this signification it is written without the vau shurek in Prov. xiv. 4; Psa. viii. 7; Isa. xxx. 24; and in Deut. vii. 13; xxviii. 4, 18, 51; which all show that this letter is not absolutely necessary to the above signification.

Verse 25. "His flesh shall be fresher than a child's " - He shall be born a new creature.
"He shall return to the days of his youth " - He shall be born again, and become a child of God, through faith in Christ Jesus.

Verse 26. "He shall pray unto God " - Being now adopted into the heavenly family, and become a new creature, he shall have the spirit of prayer, which is indeed the very breath and language of the new or spiritual life.

"He will be favourable unto him" - He shall manifest his good will to him; he shall live under the influences of Divine grace. He shall see his face with joy - He shall know that God is reconciled to him; and this shall fill him with joy, [hwrtb bithruah], with exultation: for, "being justified by faith, he has peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom he has received the atonement; and REJOICES in the hope of the glory of God." He will render unto man his righteousness. - So good and gracious is the Lord, that by his grace he will enable this convert to live to his glory, to bring forth all the fruits of the Spirit, and then reward him for the work, as if it were done by his own might.

Verse 27. "He looketh upon men " - [µyna anashim], wretched, fallen men.
He shines into them, to convince them of sin; and if any, under this convincing light of God, say, I have sinned against heaven and before thee, and perverted the right- abused the powers, faculties, mercies, and advantages, which thou didst give me, by seeking rest and happiness in the creature, and it profited me not-it was all vanity and vexation of spirit;[ yl hw alw velo shavah li], "and it was not equal to me," did not come up to my expectation, nor supply my wants: -

Verse 28. "He will deliver his soul " - He will do that to every individual penitent sinner which he has promised in his word to do for a lost world-he will deliver his soul from going down to the pit of hell.

"And his life shall see the light. " - He shall walk in the light, as Christ is in the light; always enjoying a clear sense of his acceptance through the blood of the Lamb.
YES! AMEN!

Love you ALL,
Your sister, Willa

07-26-2011 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user
Resolute
politicus incorrectissimus in extremis

Group: Moderator
RE: Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thanks for the research, sis!

I always had trouble understanding Job until I got a bead on what was going on....an outline. Now I love all the good stuff I find there. Very faith-strengthening.

love,
rez

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one… – Edmund Burke
07-26-2011 08:09 PM
BeginAgain
Not So New

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Resolute Wrote:
Thanks for the research, sis!

I always had trouble understanding Job until I got a bead on what was going on....an outline. Now I love all the good stuff I find there. Very faith-strengthening.

love,
rez

Ditto that Rez! Great job Willa!

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." Eleanor Roosevelt
07-27-2011 12:17 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites